best used small truck?

Ryda85

looking at these two trucks, whats a better deal? which is more reliable? which is better for towing?

01 tacoma, 40k miles, auto 3.4 v6, 4x4, $11,000

or

03 ranger, 35k miles, auto 4.0 v6, 4x4, offroad package, $9000

edit: im also looking at an 05 gmc canyon crew cab with 10k miles, auto 5cyl, 4x4, $13,000 and a

2002 nissan frontier extened cab, 45k miles 4x4 auto for 12k

i just want something reliable, decent on gas when not towing, and not overly huge

Id get the toyota. I know a guy that used one of those to pull a ol 24 foot camp trailer and he went all over the west coast with it. The fords are ok. I dont know anything about the gmc. Other then the recent media hype toyotas have always had a top notch reputation and it is for a reason. You can go to kbb.com to get an idea on the value in your area. The one thing Im curious of though is if youre worried about towing why get a small truck?

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the ranger the off road package has 4:10 gears and the 8.8 that's also used in some f150 the 4.0 sohc is awesome plenty of power for pulling a trailer I have an 01 with a 3 in body lift and 2 in suspension and running 33's and I have no problem pulling a double axle landscaping trailer with 5 quads on it. It has 150000 miles and haven't touched the motor besides plugs and wires and an oil change every 3000 miles. Ford trucks are very reliable vehicles especially the ranger look any were and you'll see there's tons still on the road with well over 200000 miles on them. hope this helps

Well my buddy owns an 03 Ranger xlt ext cab with the 4.0 automatic. It gets the job done for what it is not a bad truck by any means, 275,000 miles on it so ill let the mileage do the talking. One of the things I absolutly hate about his truck is the electronic 4wd system, JUNK. Every time we put it in 4wd it doesn't want to come out, couple weeks ago we threw it in 4low wouldnt come out ended up driving it home in 4low came out the next morning. And if your looking for gas mileage the ranger is not for you they drain a tank pretty quick.

• 5 weeks later...

Try to find another tacoma for sale. You seriously can not beat them.

We have had 4 Tacoma's. They are hands down the best "small" truck around. 4x4 always works, no problems. 4 banger or 6 cycl both are good engines. I get 21 miles to gallon with a 4 cycl. 4x4 manual tranny. I have had the 6 cycl 4x4 too and got about 19-20 miles to gallon. I had a friend that owned a Ford Ranger truck... SUCKS The gas. Always small problems with it. Seriously. GO WITH THE YOTA. You will not be displeased. Make sure you check everything out well though. Thing about a Toyota Tacoma, when it goes on sale, it goes fast.

Good Luck!