Cannot get it to start!

Gikki44

I have tried everything possible now and not even close to starting. this past weekend i tried pull startting it forever and nothing. it'll act like its gonna fire then just completely bogs down. Cannot even give it the slightest bit of throttle. I have no cluse what else to look at this point. I really need some help here before i lose my mind!!

I have tried everything possible now and not even close to starting. this past weekend i tried pull startting it forever and nothing. it'll act like its gonna fire then just completely bogs down. Cannot even give it the slightest bit of throttle. I have no cluse what else to look at this point. I really need some help here before i lose my mind!!

seems wierd,comp is good,have good spark and fuel.anything u did to it make it start this?did u work on something then this happened?just checking,it happens.try a lil ether in dry cyl with dry plugs.if that wont get a fire,ur comp guage is off,or ur spark isnt as good as u think.all u need to start a motor is good compression,spark and fuel,but the ether is stronger and can rule out off jetting and fouling.uve been thru the obvious,the black box of tors disconnected,if uve answered this sorry,i glanced thru ur descriptions.emergency brake plunger cut or still attatched?reeds cracked causing it to flood??check to see if ur crank has slipped,its a long shot but ive seen it.rotate to get piston on top dead center,check by pulling plug and stick a screwdriver in slot to make sure on top.check flywheel "tab"to see if its centered over pickup.then rotate to get the other cyl piston to tdc and make sure the pick up is lined with the other flywheel "tab".if the crank is out it will be a bitch and run like shit if at all.my buddy bought an ebay crank.never got it to run decent unless it was like 8 degrees advanced on a 404 la sleeve kit.checked the crank timing as i described and found the crank way out of time.granted he bought it like that,but they can slip.like i said,easy check,long shot.just throwing ideas.good luck man.

No the kicker feels perfectly normal. And as far as the timing check that sounds like a good idea. I had just recently rebuilt the motor but the day i broke it in it ran fine but it jujst stil wouldnt hit the powerband but it atleast started and ran. Now towards the end of that day it seemed like it was starting to want and stall a bit if i let it sit at idle. I have pulled the flywheel off and checked it but never the timing. How exactly does the crank "slip" as youre saying? If this is what the problem is how do i go about correcting it?

No the kicker feels perfectly normal. And as far as the timing check that sounds like a good idea. I had just recently rebuilt the motor but the day i broke it in it ran fine but it jujst stil wouldnt hit the powerband but it atleast started and ran. Now towards the end of that day it seemed like it was starting to want and stall a bit if i let it sit at idle. I have pulled the flywheel off and checked it but never the timing. How exactly does the crank "slip" as youre saying? If this is what the problem is how do i go about correcting it?

Do a pressure test. It is very possible the crank could have slipped but I would think with that one cylinder would still be firing and running and the side that slipped would be causing a misfire or dead cylinder issue. Chances of both sides of the crank slipping would be slim but still possible. Seems like what you described was an issue from the time you got it back together and eventually became unstable enough to make it not run. You are right that with nice blue spark and FRESH fuel it should run. Again I would do the pressure test. There is a pinned at the top of the subforum that explains how to do it. When you rebuilt the engine did you go as far as splitting the cases or just pull the jugs off and thats it. I believe you might have an air leak at the base gasket or if you did split the cases and didn't get enough yamabond between the case havles on reassembly. Keep us posted

Yea i have just recently done a rebuild. I actually also did a pressure test and couldnt find a leak anywhere. I can double check it just to make sure but it seemed fine before. And yea i split the cases all the way down to bare just so i could clean it all out and get new crank seals in. This is just not making sense.