ATV regristration laws in NY

shoopie

does anyone know the details surrounding the regisration/documentation laws for quads in new york? do i need to have a title on hand if i get stopped?must it be registered? also if it gets impounded (hope not) do i need documentation to get it out?

I know upstate you have to have them registered. And when you do you get the registration card which is basically the title and the piece of paper that you'll need for proof if stopped. You also need insurance and have proof if stopped. You don't have to carry them with you if your riding, but you'll get the tickets and have to show proof that you just didn't have them that day and the tickets will be dropped. Less hassle i think to just carry them with you for the day. Hope that helps.

For getting the registration, you just need the old registration signed over to you on the back or a bill of sales.

Hope that answers your questions.

do you have to have it registered to get it out of impound? i know when you get pulled over if theyre not nice, youve got to have a registration and insurance. if they really dont like you, they can stick you with all kinds of bs tickets.

do you have to have it registered to get it out of impound? i know when you get pulled over if theyre not nice, youve got to have a registration and insurance. if they really dont like you, they can stick you with all kinds of bs tickets.

yea bc it shows ownership otherwise whos to say its yours...plus the fees are expensive an the hours there are very limited to pick up so they can bang your wallet every day its there

$550 to get it out of impound the next day. 10-15 a day added on after that. riding on county prop (which is like everywhere on li) $250 ticket. the other little ticket is like 50-75 bucks i forgot what it was called. Yes to get it out you need something proving it is yours. record the vin somewhere and get a bill of sale. register it. I speak from experience.

i just found mine. right under the shifter on the frame. i think its like 5" from the middle of the first peg bolt. on some frames they are stamped very lightly so use a wire wheel as opposed to anything else to get the paint off, dont grind.

-Ryan

Edited by shoopie

mine was poweder coated to i had to use thinner to remove the powder coating and they still gave me a hard time . saying they can't see it , but after i read it to them number for number they finally belived me. plus when they powder coat a frame they sand it down a make it even harder to read the vin. and a ? my vin on my frame doesn't match my vin on my motor ,should it?

mine was poweder coated to i had to use thinner to remove the powder coating and they still gave me a hard time . saying they can't see it , but after i read it to them number for number they finally belived me. plus when they powder coat a frame they sand it down a make it even harder to read the vin. and a ? my vin on my frame doesn't match my vin on my motor ,should it?

Early bikes did, but the later ones did not match the motor to the frame.

i have a small handheld metal engraving tool. would it be recommended that i go over my vin to make it more visible or would that be a bad idea because it would look like i tampered with it?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a small handheld metal engraving tool. would it be recommended that i go over my vin to make it more visible or would that be a bad idea because it would look like i tampered with it?

dont touch ur vin, just use paint stripper. legally, u need reg and insurance. the price of one no insurance ticket is prob the same cost as getting the insurance. i got both my bikes reg'd and insured. do not tamper with the vin!!