low-mid bog

belly

New to the forum. Have a 2000 with tors removal, fmf fatty/powercore II, stock carbs and airbox. running 32:1 amsoil I picked the bike up a couple weeks ago and started fixing misc. stuff on it, changing fluids, sprockets, wheel bearings, etc... It was sitting for about 3 years, so i cleaned out the carbs and put new gas in it. Fires up on the 1st kick. The issue is there is pretty much no bottom or midrange. Once it hits the powerband it takes off fine but seems to stumble on the very top too. Have a total of 2 runs on it and the new plugs are black. not gummed up. Is this a jetting issue or possible electrical? I'll have to pull the carbs again to see what the jet size is, but i do remember the clip is in the middle.

make sure the slides are in rite it will make it run funny your better off with some 28 mm carbs to be safe in my book with some 20cc dome are a shaved head on pump 90 gas you should make another 15 hp with those pipes maybe

New to the forum. Have a 2000 with tors removal, fmf fatty/powercore II, stock carbs and airbox. running 32:1 amsoil I picked the bike up a couple weeks ago and started fixing misc. stuff on it, changing fluids, sprockets, wheel bearings, etc... It was sitting for about 3 years, so i cleaned out the carbs and put new gas in it. Fires up on the 1st kick. The issue is there is pretty much no bottom or midrange. Once it hits the powerband it takes off fine but seems to stumble on the very top too. Have a total of 2 runs on it and the new plugs are black. not gummed up. Is this a jetting issue or possible electrical? I'll have to pull the carbs again to see what the jet size is, but i do remember the clip is in the middle.

Sounds like it could be a little fat on the jetting.Could try going down a size or too on the main and see how the plugs look and how it reacts to the jetting change.

Sounds like it could be a little fat on the jetting.Could try going down a size or too on the main and see how the plugs look and how it reacts to the jetting change.

Double checked both needles. Both on middle slot.

Main jet= 200 pilot=25. elevation of 2772

I'll try to pick up some different jets and see what i can do with it. These sizes sound about normal?

well, i got my jets in today. put the 250's in and let it warm up. it seems to respond a lot better. I checked the air/fuel mixture screws and they were 2 turns out. Turned them in and went 1 1/2 out. Didn't get a chance to actually ride it since i can't where i live at. I'll take it out this weekend and give an update once i figure out which jets work out best. Thanks for the help again.

so, today i picked up an aftermarket clutch lever/perch and took off the stock lever, parking brake, wires, etc... Spliced the two black wires togather and now it doesn't rev up past idle. Did some searching on google and it just says to splice the two wires togather...... any ideas to fixing this?

Edited by belly

so, today i picked up an aftermarket clutch lever/perch and took off the stock lever, parking brake, wires, etc... Spliced the two black wires togather and now it doesn't rev up past idle. Did some searching on google and it just says to splice the two wires togather...... any ideas to fixing this?

the clear plug in on the cdi box, the yellow and green stripped wire, just cut it and that will fix your rev prob. i would go with 280 jets, works best.

the clear plug in on the cdi box, the yellow and green stripped wire, just cut it and that will fix your rev prob. i would go with 280 jets, works best.

Actually just got back in from the garage. I unplugged the white plug with the two wires and now she revs up fine. I'll stick the 270 jets in tomorrow and see how it runs. (i'll order some bigger sized jets after the test run. appreciate the quick reply

Today i got around to playing with the jetting. Started out with the 270's and it would barley hit the powerband. Dropped it down to the 250s and ran a lot better but still had some bog. Then, put the 240s in and it ran great! snappy and responsive. When i pulled the plugs they were brown. However, after the test run, it was idling and then the idle dropped down. Tried reving it up and the right side started popping. Shut it down and tore the carbs apart to see if something plugged the jets. Put them back on and the same thing. Next, i did a compression test. 80 in the left and 0 on the right. Guessing i dropped a ring or something. There's no rattling or noise coming from the engine..... So, time for a rebuild. I'll get around to tearing it down and see what happened in a few days. Probably should've done a compression test when i first got the bike. mixture was 32:1 and there was smoke coming out of the pipes the whole time until it started running like crap. BTW, the motor isn't seized. It turns free.

Edited by belly