crank from Motor City ATV

oh, there has been issues with hr. they use a cheap rod bearing, center seal, and 7-ball bearings. i've seen where they welded a bead that interferes with operation (case rubbing) numerous failures, but not out of the norm, and i think even a couple that liked to separate, even after warranty repair...

I see. With all the problems Hot Rods and Wiseco's have been having, or that I've read about, this one can't be that much worse :jesterlaugh:

I have been using a wiseco crank for two years now with no probs. I did my own crank welding with no filler. And it gets the piss ran out of it at the dunes. But next time something big happens to this motor, I will have to turn my bike into a hill shooter. But all in all, just make sure u really look over everything very well before putting together.

All of the manufacturers cranks can break i can show you about every type of failure on all of the major manufacturers cranks. With that said wiesco, i would stay away from, because the center axle is not welded and you cannot get to it to weld it once the crank is assembled and it will let the crank become out of phase. Hotrods have been fairly good cranks the rods have good yield but lower tensile than some, but the welds are junk and MUST be re welded. I have seen many billet cranks come apart on the snout of the crank and typically use a hotrod rod. These cranks are taiwan not chinese. They are assembled here in the US by I think this bansheehp guy. Again the welds are not even close to sufficient so we order them not welded. We pin every crank that we order and use a different outer pto side bearing and wrist pin bearing. The rods have a much higher tensile than hotrod but a lower yield % so they will not deflect and return as well as a hotrod but will not bend as easy. The rods are as good as anything out there right now but we are in the process of improving this as well. We have broke or had customers break every brand of crank out there but as long as the motor is properly tuned and the cranks are setup properly they all can last very well.

Andy

M&M ATV

All of the manufacturers cranks can break i can show you about every type of failure on all of the major manufacturers cranks. With that said wiesco, i would stay away from, because the center axle is not welded and you cannot get to it to weld it once the crank is assembled and it will let the crank become out of phase. Hotrods have been fairly good cranks the rods have good yield but lower tensile than some, but the welds are junk and MUST be re welded. I have seen many billet cranks come apart on the snout of the crank and typically use a hotrod rod. These cranks are taiwan not chinese. They are assembled here in the US by I think this bansheehp guy. Again the welds are not even close to sufficient so we order them not welded. We pin every crank that we order and use a different outer pto side bearing and wrist pin bearing. The rods have a much higher tensile than hotrod but a lower yield % so they will not deflect and return as well as a hotrod but will not bend as easy. The rods are as good as anything out there right now but we are in the process of improving this as well. We have broke or had customers break every brand of crank out there but as long as the motor is properly tuned and the cranks are setup properly they all can last very well.

Andy

M&M ATV

i dont have any affliation to these cranks.... i just know the guy who imports the crank parts, to my understanding he has stock/money or whatever invested in the factory that forges the webs. i know they've been shopped around to many shops around the country,prolly from ads in the back of dirt wheels M&M and wicked have, i talked to ray from motorcity atv earlier this summer and the crank subject came up and he mentions the same guy has been selling him cranks for awhile. ive seen 2 in person stk stroke and 4mm long rod both welded and pinned, they both were very tru .001 run out on both i believe, not a fan or the o-ringed bearings that come stock on them, i dont know about tensile strength of any rods but these are thinner then some, the welds are not the best but you could say they were "welded" if you selling them. imo they would make a decent stock replacment crank, for high hp setups i would recommend what M&M said and get them un-welded and get better bearings put on them.

Yea no doubt any crank can and does break. I just though there was a hot rod and wiseco epidemic that I missed. I do know that hot rods 4 mill cranks need rewelded. There stock stroke cranks are not even welded so that is a no brainer there. I am not slamming any body selling the crank. They are just giving you options, wich is nice to have.

My hot rods 4 mill origninated from crank works. It has a max load bearing on the stator side, and a tz bearing on the pto side, and has been rewelded.