Rd350/banshee engine

I know that this has probally been covered about a dozen times, but I cannot find anything on this topic.

Is a banshee motor the same as an Rd/Rz 350 motor??? if not what is different and what can I use from a banshee engine in rd 350 cases

The reason I ask is because I am going to put a banshee engine in a crf450 frame and hillclimb it. I am just curious What the best move is.

Also the rules state that I cannot run any motor but a motorcycle motor that is why I ask about the rd/rz350 engines

I know that this has probally been covered about a dozen times, but I cannot find anything on this topic.

Is a banshee motor the same as an Rd/Rz 350 motor??? if not what is different and what can I use from a banshee engine in rd 350 cases

The reason I ask is because I am going to put a banshee engine in a crf450 frame and hillclimb it. I am just curious What the best move is.

Also the rules state that I cannot run any motor but a motorcycle motor that is why I ask about the rd/rz350 engines

Yes they are the same but only the Liquid cooled rd350. They have power valved cylinders though. You would need all the electronics to make that setup work.

TONS of differances!!

To start...you are looking at a group on engines that are SIMILAR but not the same. The Banshee engine EVOLVED from the RD350 engine, but very few parts interchange.

The Banshee and RZ 350 engines are almost idnetical in regards to everything except the cylinders on up. The cases and cranks are interchangeable. The RZ has powervalve cylinders and a different head. You can put an RZ top end on a Banshee and vice versa.

The RD350 ingine is totally different. The RD is air cooled, the crankshaft is different, and a Banshee or RZ crank does not fit in a set of RD cases. Also an RD uses a points type ignition and the taper on the end of the crank is different so you cant use a Banshee/RZ style CDI ignition on an RD. There are aftermarket electronic ignitions for the RD engine though. I happen to manufacture one of them BTW...

Also....and another BIG differance...is that the engine mounts for an RD are totally different than a Banshee/RZ.

Now...there is ONE exception to this twisted mess. There WAS a model of the RD made that was called an RD350LC. It was a liquid cooled version of the RD350, but was not sold in the USA. It was sold in Canada and Europe. It more closely resembles the RZ350 except it doesn't have powervalves in the cylinders.

If the motor does not have to be completely stock it would be hard for a judge at an event to tell whether you were running a Banshee motor or an RZ motor (unless he decodes your VIN numbers on the motor). There are plenty of RZ owners who remove the powervalve cylinders and replace tham with aftermarket banshee cylinders.

Generally you can get more power out of a RZ/Banshee motor, but you can usually find RD motors a lot cheaper. They still make decent power too. The RD400 motor is very similar to the RD350 as well.

Confused yet?

Haha, Yeah Im alittle confused. So basically I need a RZ motor and not a RD.

Thanks a ton. I appreciate all your help. It will be useful to all my madness

I dont want someone to get tricky and try to run the numbers, So i want something that will use the tranny, crank,cylinders, and all the electronics from a banshee. I will probally buy a built motor and then stuff everthing into the older cases. I am a machinist/fabricator so options are endless.

We have already built a RD350 in a cr250 frame and its a screamer (we just built the frame, as I dont have any experience with these engines yet)

Thanks agian for all your help

TONS of differances!!

To start...you are looking at a group on engines that are SIMILAR but not the same. The Banshee engine EVOLVED from the RD350 engine, but very few parts interchange.

The Banshee and RZ 350 engines are almost idnetical in regards to everything except the cylinders on up. The cases and cranks are interchangeable. The RZ has powervalve cylinders and a different head. You can put an RZ top end on a Banshee and vice versa.

The RD350 ingine is totally different. The RD is air cooled, the crankshaft is different, and a Banshee or RZ crank does not fit in a set of RD cases. Also an RD uses a points type ignition and the taper on the end of the crank is different so you cant use a Banshee/RZ style CDI ignition on an RD. There are aftermarket electronic ignitions for the RD engine though. I happen to manufacture one of them BTW...

Also....and another BIG differance...is that the engine mounts for an RD are totally different than a Banshee/RZ.

Now...there is ONE exception to this twisted mess. There WAS a model of the RD made that was called an RD350LC. It was a liquid cooled version of the RD350, but was not sold in the USA. It was sold in Canada and Europe. It more closely resembles the RZ350 except it doesn't have powervalves in the cylinders.

If the motor does not have to be completely stock it would be hard for a judge at an event to tell whether you were running a Banshee motor or an RZ motor (unless he decodes your VIN numbers on the motor). There are plenty of RZ owners who remove the powervalve cylinders and replace tham with aftermarket banshee cylinders.

Generally you can get more power out of a RZ/Banshee motor, but you can usually find RD motors a lot cheaper. They still make decent power too. The RD400 motor is very similar to the RD350 as well.

Confused yet?

Nothing big but I just want to say.

31K and up was RZ over there in USA and Japan. It was RD here in Eorope. I have 1983 RD350 LCII YPVS 31K. :cheers:

I think that the 1980-1982(or1983) LCII model was the closest to a Banshee. Water cooled with out YPVS.

Nothing big but I just want to say.

31K and up was RZ over there in USA and Japan. It was RD here in Eorope. I have 1983 RD350 LCII YPVS 31K. :cheers:

I think that the 1980-1982(or1983) LCII model was the closest to a Banshee. Water cooled with out YPVS.

Come on man!!! He's confused enough already!!!! :rotflmao:

Good point though.

Come on man!!! He's confused enough already!!!! :rotflmao:

Good point though.

Yeah I was confused when I asked the question.....lol....but really all i needed to know was what motor was Identical to the banshee engine. I knew one of them was close but i didnt know what one it was.

I already bought a set of Rz cases last night. so I am on my way...... :headbang:

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I appreciate all your help.

Thanks/Cody

Edited by honda94clark

• 1 year later...

So if you live in canda and find a Liquid cooled RD350, you can buy a big bore kit designed for a banshee and mod it as such?

Do you guyz know if the exhaust port flanges on the banshee and RD350LC are the same?

lets check the dates before we go digging up threads. start a new one. i bet the people in this thread havent posted in along time.