Boost bottle is it worth it is a

MacRacer1

It has happened to both of the banshees I have owned and have changed countless intakes on shee's with boost bottles when I was still working at the stealership. Come to think of it I have never changed an intake boot with the stock crossover tube.

I guess I was wrong. :shootself:

did these banshees have stock airboxes or were the carbs just dangling off the intakes ???

Air boxes. The thing is the weight is only supported by the rubber intakes. With it being taller and more mass than the stock tube it vibrates with the motor and being beat around on the terrian. That is what causes the boots to tear. All the ones I have changed have tore right behind the boost bottle hole.

This isn't my first goat rope. The Pro Design boost bottle even have mounting tabs that bolt to the intakes that should tell you something. I won't run one of them either.

Air boxes. The thing is the weight is only supported by the rubber intakes. With it being taller and more mass than the stock tube it vibrates with the motor and being beat around on the terrian. That is what causes the boots to tear. All the ones I have changed have tore right behind the boost bottle hole.

This isn't my first goat rope. The Pro Design boost bottle even have mounting tabs that bolt to the intakes that should tell you something. I won't run one of them either.

I guess i'm a lucky bastard then, my recent shee has had a bottle on it since 04...no rips, im junking it anywyas, but again...no rips

Just a thought... but the White Bro's boost bottle I've got sitting here weighs 1.64 oz. 1.64oz directly on top of rubber intakes is almost no weight. The stock crossover tube, according to my scale, weighs .76oz. I mic'd the diameter of both the crossover tube and the boost bottle where it inserts into the intake boots, and they are both roughly 15.30mm. So they aren't stretching out the intake boots, by any means.

So lets investigate leverage for a second... the stock cross over tube, while it has a lower center of gravity, still has a mass of .76oz. The boost bottle has most of it's weight up high, with a total mass of 1.64oz. That is a difference of .88oz, total.

The boost bottle is approx 1" inch taller than the stock crossover tube, and while taking into consideration the increased mass of .88oz, at 1" above normal, it doesn't seem like heaps of weight/leverage/mass on those intake boots. Perhaps the height of the boost bottle, in conjunction with the fact that the cables, wires, hoses rest on it, might be to blame for the cracked intakes, not necessarily the boost bottle itself.

Personally, I have never run a boost bottle, I think they look ridiculous. I have friends who run them, SWEAR they made more power, and have had no issues with them since installing them on their brand new bike in 2003. I, on the other hand, have had two cracked intake boots, with a stock crossover tube, which I attributed to running pods. The amount of weight dangling off the intakes with pods is unfathomable compared to that of a boost bottle, which sits directly in top of the intake boots, providing almost no leverage forward, backward, or side to side. Pods do.

Anyways, I'm no engineer, but it would seem to me that if the added .88oz of a boost bottle is to blame for cracked intakes, wouldn't it be a safe assumption that running pods, or larger carbs in the stock intake boots would do more damage?? :confused:

Just a thought... but the White Bro's boost bottle I've got sitting here weighs 1.64 oz. 1.64oz directly on top of rubber intakes is almost no weight. The stock crossover tube, according to my scale, weighs .76oz. I mic'd the diameter of both the crossover tube and the boost bottle where it inserts into the intake boots, and they are both roughly 15.30mm. So they aren't stretching out the intake boots, by any means.

So lets investigate leverage for a second... the stock cross over tube, while it has a lower center of gravity, still has a mass of .76oz. The boost bottle has most of it's weight up high, with a total mass of 1.64oz. That is a difference of .88oz, total.

The boost bottle is approx 1" inch taller than the stock crossover tube, and while taking into consideration the increased mass of .88oz, at 1" above normal, it doesn't seem like heaps of weight/leverage/mass on those intake boots. Perhaps the height of the boost bottle, in conjunction with the fact that the cables, wires, hoses rest on it, might be to blame for the cracked intakes, not necessarily the boost bottle itself.

Personally, I have never run a boost bottle, I think they look ridiculous. I have friends who run them, SWEAR they made more power, and have had no issues with them since installing them on their brand new bike in 2003. I, on the other hand, have had two cracked intake boots, with a stock crossover tube, which I attributed to running pods. The amount of weight dangling off the intakes with pods is unfathomable compared to that of a boost bottle, which sits directly in top of the intake boots, providing almost no leverage forward, backward, or side to side. Pods do.

Anyways, I'm no engineer, but it would seem to me that if the added .88oz of a boost bottle is to blame for cracked intakes, wouldn't it be a safe assumption that running pods, or larger carbs in the stock intake boots would do more damage?? :confused:

Have you ever stood off to the side of your banshee and revved the engine while having your hand placed somewhere on it..it vibrates a little,wouldn't you say?

Imagine that vibration at lets say 8000rpm....

The boost bottle has a greater mass and center of gravity vs the crossover tube,when vibration sets in the ,boost bottle will exert a greater force on the intake boots than the crossover tube.Its mass is centered higher and is more top heavy.Is it going to tear the boots after one ride..no,but will it tear them after a few years..yes.

Carbs that are not secured will do the same,but if your running stock airbox/carbs and are tearing intake boots...ditch the boost bottle.

Yeah, yeah...say or think what ya want, i dont care, i'm not a 12 year old kid whos going to cry about it or defend myself over you guys not believeing me...Here's the real deal... i grew up in northeast pa where there are tons of banshees because they are good for climbing the coal hills. Sometimes id trade a whole banshee or put one together from stock parts my friends were taking off thiers. I even built a deck for one one time. thats how many i had, It only takes an hour to take on apart and organize it with a buddy and a few metric tools, take your frame to the powdercoater, polish some stuff, oreder some parts and your riding in undr a month... ive had many more toys too, cars, trucks, bikes, whatever, just this past summer i had an olds cutlass supreme, a lifted toyota, a ford f150. a tecate, 2 cr250s, a 700xx, a 400ex and now another banshee which i may have a few years, i may have a few days, who knows, do you really care that much ? I think y'all need to get off ma JOCK flipa.gif

Anyhow Matt and Run are 100% correct about the boost bottles, mine was on there since a frined bought the thing brand new in 05 and the shop who put that and the intake and pipes on were smart enough to route the wires and hoses ABOVE the boost bottle, i jetted it fatter for the new pipes when i got it and just rejetted it for the cooler weather last week, i wanted to hide the hoses and wiring better so i put them under the bottle like an idiot, well wouldnt you know about 8 hours of riding later and the force of those wires pushed back on the bottle enough to tear my intakes. I'm 100% positive that the wires behind it were holding it forward and then when i put them in front of it they not only let it move back, they helped push it back to rip the boots...needless to say, the bottle is long gone and i will be re-routing my harness and hoses to stay the hell away from the intake...

My conclusion is its not the bottle ripping the boots, but our stupidity hanging carbs and filters off them and pushing them way past thier intended operating strength or like me, prying on them with the harness, crankase breather hoses and coolant lines for the sake of good looks, owell...who said banshees were for the poor ??? Live and learn, like i said before i imagine the companies that make so many good products wouldnt sel something that doesnt do its intended job, but ive never seen one make a damn bit of difference so to me thier not worth it...

Spend the money on something else besides that one. Like said, it isn't noticeable difference in power.

There are only a few hundred members here that have proven the Boost Bottle POS theory.

Like said get something that you will notice a gain with.. Adj timing plate, new carbs or some port work.