O Ring Question

robs400

Removed the clutch assembly a while ago in my banshee (04) and a bunch of projects came up in the meantime that resulted in all my parts getting moved around my garage. Well I finally went to start putting things back together last night and realized I was missing 2 parts right away. The first is the ball on the end of the pushrod. They have one at my local shop that I am picking up today. The second piece is an o ring on the back side of the clutch housing. My clymers manual calls it out as item 17 pg 156. The local parts start has the official yamaha assembly diagram and its not shown on there. Looking at the part, I dont see what the o ring does. Does anyone know if this is available somewhere? Or if its something that is not needed?? Thanks for the help.

What are the two interfaces shown in the Clymer's manual where the o-ring goes?

Not exactly sure what you are asking for. The clymers manual shows an exploded view of the entire assembly. There is a groove on the back side of the Clutch housing (towards the engine with the gear on it), and on that side there is a groove that the o ring looks like its supposed to sit in. When the clutch housing is installed it does not seat up against anything in that area, so I am unsure what this o ring is for. I am not even sure what would hold it in there.

The yamaha service manual shows the o-ring also. There is no mention of its purpose. I have also looked on bikebandit in their microfiche and they do not offer a repacement on that o-ring leading me to believe that it comes with a new basket/primary assembly. I have changed out clutch baskets in both my banshees and do not recall that o-ring. The only purpose i can think of is maybe to keep oil out of the cushions? Or maybe its there to help quiet the oem clutch assembly in conjunction with the o-rings that reside with the fibers and steels. Id run what you have.

I'm almost positive there isn't an o-ring there, sure hope not at least b/c I've never put one there lol. Any way you can post a pic of the manual and the figure in question so we can see what you're looking at?

Looking at the setup it does not seem like there should be an o ring where it is shown. I dont have a camera here at work. Anyone else with a clymers manual??? pg 156.

I checked my Clymers and see what you are refering to. Thing is, I don't remember if there was one between the secondary drive gear on the basket and the backing plate or not. I swaped my stock basket for a billet one a couple of seasons ago and don't recall if there was even an o-ring in there. <_< It doesn't go to anything else, so I wouldn't worry about it. You definitly need that ball at the end of the clutch actuator push rod though.

Removed the clutch assembly a while ago in my banshee (04) and a bunch of projects came up in the meantime that resulted in all my parts getting moved around my garage. Well I finally went to start putting things back together last night and realized I was missing 2 parts right away. The first is the ball on the end of the pushrod. They have one at my local shop that I am picking up today. The second piece is an o ring on the back side of the clutch housing. My clymers manual calls it out as item 17 pg 156. The local parts start has the official yamaha assembly diagram and its not shown on there. Looking at the part, I dont see what the o ring does. Does anyone know if this is available somewhere? Or if its something that is not needed?? Thanks for the help.

mabey it is for the cooling tube o ring.

Appreciate all the help guys. It isnt the cooling tube o ring, I know that because I just ordered that one and its in a different exploded diagram...AND this I ring I am talking about is much bigger...its probably an inch smaller on diameter of the OD of the clutch housing.

What I dont understand is that I see no means other than friction to hold that o ring into the house (if thats where it goes). So that means its meant to stay there on its own. I would have had no reason to pull that o ring out of that groove so it either was not on there when I pulled it apart, or I am missing something. Due to the weird noise the thing was making in the first place I want to make sure this thing goes back together right.

Yamaha puts that o ring in their factory set ups. I know it came in an 04 Raptor 660 and an 06 YFZ 450. I have heard it was to prevent sticking and clutch creep. I have also heard it keeps the clutches from rattling. It does not come with aftermarket setups.

The factory set up has a plate that is a little smaller than the rest to keep the o ring in place.

Rick