Serval Cat

No Limit Powersports

Man, it is so sick to see that our market is still providing fresh parts that WORK! No matter what your stance is on the best way to get the most overall tq/hp out of it, the new cylinder from calvin is absolutely killer. I understand that Calvin designed the cylinder to be the best suited to the "Majority" of the duner masses and that is understandable. It is just impossible to create a new cylinder every time someone finds a new riding style, and that is why it is imparitive that people on the customer end need to do the research on nailing their own combo. The way I see it, in a few more years it will be feasable to have a four stroke bottom end and an incredible top end charge, just let the fellas keep doing R&D and be patient. Not long till efi will be obtainable for every one in a box, and pipes will be even more precice then they already are.

I can see the debate as to what is the best theory on how to get the serval to really shine. The thing is with the research I got from known builders , the cp cylinders fall off on top with excess compression. Wich means finding the happy spot with minimal trade off of torque for peak horse power will be a task in it self. Then there is the task of testing the carbs to find a good medium. After some calls, I understand that these cylinders don't really pull the rpm's on big carbs, and the smaller carbs are really helping the overrev. So Snop, I think you are on to something. As for the pipes, who cares! Pick your pipe for YOUR riding. Every one knows that almost every bike will pull harder with a set of shearer in frames over a set of FMF's, but the actual bike's duty may be more suited for some fmf's or pc's. Me personally, the shearers make more power, but at the cost of bottom end as well as cylinder scuffing if ran constantly in their favored rpm range. So I personally choose Rocket, CPI, or Trinity's. Re gear the sprocket so the bike is in their power and they kill it for MY riding.Although Snop, what do you think those Trinity pipes would do on there or maybe the shearer 2 to 1 pipe.

Who knows, so many theories out there, but till they are tested, ran, and backed up in a repeatable result, they are just theories. I really don't think Andy has to defend his initial build either. What he did was prove just how much potential this cylinder has in it. Think about it. He practically cobbled some realatively dune friendly parts together and presto, a fairly sweet motor.

We need to have an engine masters challenge, but only banshee hq version. Take the M&M serval package and work your magic. Then 30 days later meet at a known dyno for best overall average HP/Tq. Load up and hit the dunes. Get a known rider with no ties to any shop to make five passes on all the bikes. Make a chassis rule so the only variable will be the motor. Say... stock chassis and shocks to keep cost down and a plus 6 swinger. Put the same paddles and biffs on and you would one helluva close competition.

Edited by trickedcarbine

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm going to get these as well. Had my mind set on doing a cub but I think these would suit my riding style better. I'm kind of on the same page as Jeff, I want to see what they will do on a low/mid setup . I have everything to set this up already so its worth a shot, I'd have to get different pipes if I went with the cub anyway so whatever happens I wont be out anything . I just think they will be a much more versatile cylinder that can be used for different riding environments by simply swapping out a few bolt on parts. No one will ever make a magic cylinder that will make awesome power everywhere you would ever want it but from what i'm seeing these should be damn good for me. I'd also like to think they'd make a hell of a good hillclimbing motor.

i would also love to put them to the test on the wild alaskan "course", lol......i think he is too far past r&d hand-outs/trials....and i have the full low-mid setup, too....lectron 30's w/pj's, boysens, dyna fs programmable, dd lock-up, billet basket, 22/12/9 mud tires, ptr powerhead, pcp's, etc, etc...enough to handle the abuse, and even spare pipes/reeds, etc to change things up a bit....i'm just on the fence about shelling out for the cyls, or continue with what i was buiding up already....

Don't know of anyone that got a r&d handout/trial ... pony up the money, you'll dig it, with or without the "full low-mid" set-up ... ( :yank: ) :D

Don't know of anyone that got a r&d handout/trial ... pony up the money, you'll dig it, with or without the "full low-mid" set-up ... ( :yank: ) :D

lol, that's not exactly what i meant.....i was just reffering to the fact that they had already been tested in the real world and are now in the sales stage. i'm stuck between choosing 3 different projects right now. the servals, turbo setup, or my current low-end build i got going on.....i gotta pick one, lol.

For what it's worth: I will be starting off with the Serval as cast cylinder, trinity stage IV head w/20cc domes, FMF Gnarlies with Turbine Core II silencers, stock reed cages with Boyesen 2 stage reeds, UMI aluminum intake adapter plate with K&N filter and open airbox lid, Trinity 2-1 intake with Keihin PWK35 bored to 36.3. I will be starting engine assembly this afternoon and hopefuly will have it all buttoned up tomorrow. Unfortunately my frame and suspension are still at the poweder coaters so it will be a couple weeks before I can actually get it in the frame and running.

If I am not happy with the results, the first change will be to a set of Mikuni TM28's on modquad billet intakes, after that I will use a set of Pro Circuit pipes.

I am also building a spare motor at the same time, it consists of stock cylinders with a trinity Pro MX port job, ported for a 4mil stroker, Trinity Stage IV head with cut domes for the stroker and the Mikuni 28's/Pro Circuit pipes.

Basically I'm using what I have to build the 2 motors. I have already arranged for a full day of dyno time in late November at a local bike shop to test/tune/compare the two engines with the different combo's of carb and exhaust. I will be putting my spare engine into my son in laws banshee to save time swapping parts and motors.

Jim J

For what it's worth: I will be starting off with the Serval as cast cylinder, trinity stage IV head w/20cc domes, FMF Gnarlies with Turbine Core II silencers, stock reed cages with Boyesen 2 stage reeds, UMI aluminum intake adapter plate with K&N filter and open airbox lid, Trinity 2-1 intake with Keihin PWK35 bored to 36.3. I will be starting engine assembly this afternoon and hopefuly will have it all buttoned up tomorrow. Unfortunately my frame and suspension are still at the poweder coaters so it will be a couple weeks before I can actually get it in the frame and running.

If I am not happy with the results, the first change will be to a set of Mikuni TM28's on modquad billet intakes, after that I will use a set of Pro Circuit pipes.

I am also building a spare motor at the same time, it consists of stock cylinders with a trinity Pro MX port job, ported for a 4mil stroker, Trinity Stage IV head with cut domes for the stroker and the Mikuni 28's/Pro Circuit pipes.

Basically I'm using what I have to build the 2 motors. I have already arranged for a full day of dyno time in late November at a local bike shop to test/tune/compare the two engines with the different combo's of carb and exhaust. I will be putting my spare engine into my son in laws banshee to save time swapping parts and motors.

Jim J

sweet! im really lookin forward to somebody testing these cylinders with different low-mid range set ups! i'll definately be staying tuned to see what the results are from your dyno test and tune!

I will be ordering a set of these coming up real soon here. Was going to do a 4mil dune port stock cylinder but figure what the hell, and if the power delivery is as good as what everyone says I think I would rather this setup. Does any one have any video of these they could share.