Hinson Clutch Straight Cut Gears worth it?

die_infidel

I was thinking about upgrading my clutch. Was looking at the Hinson Clutch Basket with Straight Cut Gears and wonder if the straight cut gears make any difference and if the hinson clutch basket was any good for the price. I have a mod banshee here's a list of some mods i have: 12 port 4mm stroker with 66mm piston set, 20 cc noss head domes, cpi pipes, v2 reeds, Timing Plate +4 deg, k&N filter with mod air box, Keihin Carbs PJ34, Boss Billet manifold. Any clutch ideas would help thanks.

If you want to upgrade your clutch, go with a Magnum or PE billet basket and new clutch from Jeff @FAST. Stock inner and outer hub are fine if they aren't grooved. Straight cuts aren't worth the money unless you've maxed out every other thing on the motor. Hinson basket is definitely not worth it unless you need the extra plates for a very high hp motor. JMO.

when are the straight cut gears needed?

I know plenty of people running 10mm Cubs that still don't use straight cuts. They just use two clips on the PTO side of the crank to keep the crank from wanting to pull. I ran straight cuts on my 10mm Cub for extra insurance. I'd say 110HP is a good number to start at. You have a ton of money in it at that point anyway, what's another $375?

thinking about getting the Magnum basket looked at some online shops and none of them say if the basket comes with bolts to install stock gear on basket. The PE billet baskets come with them. the pics of the packaged magnums don't show hardware. Do they come with bolts and cushions to install gear to basket?

thinking about getting the Magnum basket looked at some online shops and none of them say if the basket comes with bolts to install stock gear on basket. The PE billet baskets come with them. the pics of the packaged magnums don't show hardware. Do they come with bolts and cushions to install gear to basket?

Yea they do.. here you go..

http://farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=39

there is also another reason to run strait-cuts- if you have bearing side-load issues. max-load and especially tz bearings are less side-load friendly. strait-cuts will show their worth on high hp builds after a top end, or 3. i'm eventually going to run straits in my 4mill woods/hillshooter. also, all maxloads.