Wiseco intake windows

TIM LUTZ

How much are you guys opening up the intake windows on the 513s? Would an 8mm brtdge be OK? What is a safe over all width on each window?

How much: it's depend of the reliability you want.

Generaly, it's not the intake the problem... I do it a couple of time on my 513 and ended up with broken skirt...

On the seat, I don't feel any difference widened or not.

Just an advice.

Just can't see why Wiseco would use a window that is .055" narrower than the stock piston. I've widened them a little before on dirt bike builds with no problems.

I guess go for it and let us know how long it lasts. Most guys dont open the piston windows because they chose reliability over 0.00000000000000000000000000028 hp.

I can tell you the intake windows on my Vitos pistons are larger than stock.

That being said, they are also about twice as thick on the skirt face as Wiseco.

I have to tear down my motor to replace a crank seal, so I'm going to see how my pistons and everything is wearing, being that everything is brand new in my motor this year.

Off the topic a little bit I understand...but a little relevant at the same time.

I have also done this to a few motors but they were my close friends that wanted all the stops pulled out on a build and new the risks.One motor is still running after 3 yrs,we only dragrace,we pull them off the trailer line them up run and go home,I would say hes got a 100 passes on it no problem.I say try it if your a tuner like me it wont be the first thing you blew up.

.I say try it if your a tuner like me it wont be the first thing you blew up.

Yep that is the attitude to have. Yea it does give you a little more power. For most people is isn't worth the possible loss in reliability.

Just like the long rod / short rod 4 mill stroker crank debate.

I've always opened mine up and matched them better to the intake port. I wouldn't go crazy on making the bridge too thin because you have to remember it is cooled by the intake charge so it can create a significant temp variation on a small part of one section of the piston....not something highly desirable when you think about material expansion inequalities.

I think there is a significant benefit to piston port matching the intake tho... :drool: