What Trucks should not be bought?

SandmanPNW

I wouldnt buy anything blue oval myself. Ragun lets talk about that lightning and how it blew up!! I personally have a 06 2500HD duramax. Its a good truck.

1995 F250 2wd XLT that racked 260K before I sold it..I put a set of brakes,2 sets of shocks and a fuel pump in it the 10 years that I owned it.

1998 Ford ranger 2.5l 2wd that I managed 200k with before the clutch throwout bearing forced me to junk it.I put 2 sets of brakes shocks and tires on it.It still had the original serpentine belt and cam timing belt.

The blue oval proved its worthiness to me..Im not just saying it because I own one and feel the need to console my decision.

It really comes down to who maintained the vehicle,thats why buying used is so risky...I don't think i would have had the same luck with my vehicles if they were from prior owners.

maybe i should share 2 of my friends experiences with 2000+ chevy 1500's?

ive lost count of trannies rear ends and transfer cases in one of em.. the other sold his after the first tranny under 100k

and with hd's, id sure want a solid front axle on my heavy duty 4x4 truck , at least the chevies ride smooth though, huih :D

All trucks have there problems. I'm a chevy guy. But I would not buy a 2001-2004.5 chevy duramax with the LB7 motor. Those things had/have major injector issues. They fixed it in 2004.5 with the LLY motor. I had a 2001 1500HD silverado. at 105K miles the drive line carrier bearing went out, and the transfer case started leaking. My brother had a 2001 F250 that ate 5 transmissions. Then he had a 2006 F250 manual transmission and it went in the shop over 10 times for electrical issues. My brothers trucks are always bone stock and he drives like grandpa. I drive my trucks like nascar with a ton of 4wd time.

Cummins^^^^

As someone mentioned earlier, buy something that you have looked over, it mechanically seems good when you look at it, it's been taken care of, etc. We could all sit here all month telling stories about trucks falling apart, blowing up, etc,etc. If you find a fairly clean decent truck for a good price, then look into it more and maybe buy it. Every truck has it's pro's and con's, just some are lemons and some have well known problems.

For starters, are you looking at getting a Gas or Diesel Pick Up? Are you going to tow, or is it just your daily driver?

You can tell what my decision is, always have had good luck with Cummins. Only real shitty thing is 2nd gen Dodge bodies rust like no tomorrow if not taken care of.

Cummins^^^^

As someone mentioned earlier, buy something that you have looked over, it mechanically seems good when you look at it, it's been taken care of, etc. We could all sit here all month telling stories about trucks falling apart, blowing up, etc,etc. If you find a fairly clean decent truck for a good price, then look into it more and maybe buy it. Every truck has it's pro's and con's, just some are lemons and some have well known problems.

For starters, are you looking at getting a Gas or Diesel Pick Up? Are you going to tow, or is it just your daily driver?

You can tell what my decision is, always have had good luck with Cummins. Only real shitty thing is 2nd gen Dodge bodies rust like no tomorrow if not taken care of.

It is going to get me and possibly a bumper pull 21' hauler to the dunes and back. Not a daily driver, just for camping and house stuff. Probably a gas but a diesel wouldnt be bad either. I was out looking at Chevys today but am still hunting. I will prob. be looking to spend 30K or so on one.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2006 and now 2008 Dodge Ram 1500s with 5.7 Hemis have been problem free.

The 06 I had had the tailgate latch broke, fixed under warranty...and there's a recall on my wiper arm for my 2008.

Best truck I've ever owned, and the pathetic part is I hate Dodge and I'm a Ford Truck guy. When dollars came down to it, Dodge gave me more bang for the buck. I'm buying out my 2008 from the lease. You can't go wrong with the lifetime power train warranty and all that it covers..if you're the original owner, of course.

Runs like a champ and looks tight fo sho....

I do like the new Ford trucks, though.

As said...every truck has it's good and bads...