Deadly crash in California 200

Yesterday I heard BLM suspended all upcoming races. This is going to turn into a shit storm. Environmentalists are going to use this as an excuse to shut down all of our desert.

No one in desert racing is in this for money. We all do it because we love it. No one hears about these races until something bad happens.

I find it interesting that guys who knew how dangerous the location was, still stood there. If guys who know better still stand in an unsafe spot, how can 1 or even 20 patrol people MAKE a crowd stay out of an area? I also don't understand why common sense behavior always needs to be enforced by the orginization or group running the event. Not every event in life should require a saftey officer to be conducted. It sucks that people died.

Well said. In this day in age you can do anything you want, and if something goes wrong you can blame some on else for not being there to protect your self. I wish the government was more open to "Natural Selection".

Wonder how close people would stand to the race coures if they knew the drivers got bonus points for people. :rotflmao:

Well said. In this day in age you can do anything you want, and if something goes wrong you can blame some on else for not being there to protect your self. I wish the government was more open to "Natural Selection".

Wonder how close people would stand to the race course if they knew the drivers got bonus points for people. :rotflmao:

You guys are both right... with the exception that no one is blaming any organization. I have said all along that the people shouldn't be there, hence the reason I wasn't right there. I was further up on the course, in a smooth straightaway section. This is the first major accident that I can recall EVER to happen at an offroad race on US soil. Sure, it happens down in Mexico, because the people down there are idiots and ask for trouble; Setting booby traps, changing course markers, etc. If the BLM is going to kill desert racing for good, then they are obviously admitting SOME fault for this event. If it was of no-fault-of-their-own scenario, they'd simply say "yep, the people were stupid, it's their own fault, let the races continue!".

As far as the government protecting people from themselves; Do you ride your ATV with a helmet? Wear a seatbelt? How about use crosswalks instead of jaywalking? The government has been protecting its own citizens for ever, and I don't think they plan on stopping any time soon.

My conclusion is this: Don't shut down off road racing for the stupidity of the spectators. Perhaps impose a fine for anyone caught too close to the course? It'd be just like another seat belt, or helmet law. But then again... that would take the BLM to step up and actually do what they say they will.

Wonder how close people would stand to the race coures if they knew the drivers got bonus points for people. :rotflmao:

Well I understand what your trying to say. (Though I don't think anyone wants to be so crass as to jest that we're rooting for a game of human pinball) But why does EVERYTHING we try to do have to be reconfigured to protect the stupid people? Yes, I understand your comment about "Natural Selection". It's cold...but it's real life. When I was little, when ever I got a dumb idea as a kid for a way to do something....my Grandpa would stop as if he was thinking my idea over, then look at me and say "Well.....we Could do that....but that would be stupid." Then he'd let me try to defend the idea. After I was out of breath from trying to be right, he would then point out the 3-5 things I hadn't thought about that were unsafe, or consequences I hadn't quite thought through....and I'd LEARN from that. Other times when I'd get hurt when something went bad, (you know, when your squeezing your head like a vise after you get a good konk on the head and checking to see how bad it's bleeding. LOL) He'd wait a second or two and chime in with "Well...Do you feel any smarter?".

Now it's sad that this guys friends had to die because of a lack of judgement, but life's no walk in the park. Unfortunatly the entire event will change because "Somebody has to pay". We can't just leave it at "Well they shouldn't have stood there." As for doing something more in the future to protect the stupid people from themselves......I'll bet you could build big white crosses on the spot to remind others that it's not a good idea to be in that spot, and next race you'll see people climb them for a better view. <_<

I read the flag idea.......how about we try this. Let's say for the next race you post that the track is dirt and the trucks sometimes slide off of it for no reason and people get killed. I mean, if people can "Get" that the flags will end up slowing down the action, why can't they "Get" that the track is for the action and they should stay away from the danger? :shrugani: It's just another feel good move that won't solve anything. You already have signs every 200ft warning people to stay back! Why do you need to do anything more? Where does it end? Pepper spray and tazers with armed security forces in place to quell fan obstruction? NO.

But in the end this sport will be run in V-6 mini trucks on an indoor track at a football stadium, with radio controld ignition cut-off's on a track too lame to harm the drivers and concrete barriers to protect the fans...because people sometimes make bad desissions and end up dead. And for whatever reason,we can't have that.......

NASCAR has catch fences around the track....I use to think it was to keep tires and parts from flying off into the crowd. Now that I'm older, I think they are just there to keep the drunks from streaking out on the track and down pit road! :blink:

Not saying I want people do die for points. It might make them more aware of the danger that they are partaking in.

If there is another race. They should have pics of the sceen from this accident posted right by the waring signs since the people do not read the waring signs. It takes a pretty hard message to get through to some people.

I am just tired of rules being made, things becoming banned or outlawed to protect me because of stupid people with no commonsence. There is a lot of stuff in this world that you can die from. Get enough people dieing from it then it becomes illegeal or banned, instead of people acccepting that shit happens.

You keep loosing stuff bit by bit until you have nothing.

Not saying I want people do die for points. It might make them more aware of the danger that they are partaking in.

If there is another race. They should have pics of the sceen from this accident posted right by the waring signs since the people do not read the waring signs. It takes a pretty hard message to get through to some people.

I am just tired of rules being made, things becoming banned or outlawed to protect me because of stupid people with no commonsence. There is a lot of stuff in this world that you can die from. Get enough people dieing from it then it becomes illegeal or banned, instead of people acccepting that shit happens.

You keep loosing stuff bit by bit until you have nothing.

Well said