The ultimate showdown cool head vs shaved stock head

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like I said.. there is ways to bandaid it and cover up the problem.. at the exspense of HP...

I'll buy that.

I just don't believe that on a pump gas setup that the difference will be significant enough to warrant spending money on a cool head.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had experienced teachers and instructors/aides with years and years in the business watching over them...I'm pretty sure those old timers knew how to run a machine. Some of the instructors actually cut the parts because they just thought it was cool and different than the normal jobs/requests.

You make is sound so simple..so anyone can just mill of .035...right?

I didn't mean piston ring, I meant you could see a "ring" on the dome of the piston where it hit.

If you can see the piston ring hitting the dome...I'd say you have other problems...like crown missing.

Maybe we should've looked you up 15 years or so ago...you were probably a leader in the industry then, too...

Nooooo

I didn't say to just chop off .035.

I said you can bring your squish down to .035" if you know what you are doing. Although people HAVE lopped off .035" before, with no ill effects. No piston to head contact for sure.Maybe you forgot to put the base gasket on?

Ricks file that I uploaded is set up for .033" squish. it has also been rechambered but that has nothing to do with piston to head contact.

...Ricks file that I uploaded is set up for .033" squish. it has also been rechambered but that has nothing to do with piston to head contact.

You are talking about an 8k rpm motor. I don't believe .033" squish would work in 10k rpm motor?

I'll buy that.

I just don't believe that on a pump gas setup that the difference will be significant enough to warrant spending money on a cool head.

Dont get me wrong.. a stock head is a option and can be just as good as a cool head for less money.. BUT I dont agree with the "Mill and run" theory... And I think thats what most of us are getting at.. And alot of us have been down that road and know whats at the end. I've also had heads milled without changing the squish in my younger years and it didn't end well. It went into deto and smoked a piston.

I dont beleive on a pump gas setup that the gains of milled head is worth it either. Now a mill and rechamber by someone who KNOWS dome design taylored to your motor (port specs) and your riding style.. WELL worth it.

And if your serious about power.. a cool head is a must. There is certain dome designs that are not atainable with a stock head.

Dont get me wrong.. a stock head is a option and can be just as good as a cool head for less money..

I dont beleive on a pump gas setup that the gains of milled head is worth it either. Now a mill and rechamber by someone who KNOWS dome design taylored to your motor (port specs) and your riding style.. WELL worth it.

You just Disagreed with yourself.

I think a stock milled head approx .025" to .030will give you essentially the same gains as running a cool head. if someone is rechambering to your particular engine, rpm ceiling ect then you might get a noticeable gain from having the domes CUSTOM milled. I will agree with you there.

You claimed stock head squish was .068.

Lop off .035 gives you .033.

So...I will retract my statement.

Lop off .033 to get your .035 squish.

My point is if you are going to mill more than .020 you should have it done professionally, it should be milled and re chambered for your motor based on it's measurements.

You just Disagreed with yourself.

I think a stock milled head approx .025" to .030will give you essentially the same gains as running a cool head. if someone is rechambering to your particular engine, rpm ceiling ect then you might get a noticeable gain from having the domes CUSTOM milled. I will agree with you there.

I didn't disagree with my self.. a stock head CAN be just as good as a cool head.. But not from a mil alone.

The domes that come with a cool head ARE NOT the same design as a stock head and are a more effiecent design.

I didn't disagree with my self.. a stock head CAN be just as good as a cool head.. But not from a mil alone.

The domes that come with a cool head ARE NOT the same design as a stock head and are a more effiecent design.

I didn't say they were not more efficient. I said the difference would be in-perceivable in a real world scenario. Definately not worth an extra 1-200 dollars.

I think i see where you think I disagreed with myself.. I corrected it.

either was refering to you post.

You claimed stock head squish was .068.

Lop off .035 gives you .033.

So...I will retract my statement.

Lop off .033 to get your .035 squish.

My point is if you are going to mill more than .020 you should have it done professionally, it should be milled and re chambered for your motor based on it's measurements.

I believe you are being overly conservative, but that is just my opinion.

I think that .025" would be a good safe conservative number.

But I hate to argue over .005" so let's just agree to disagree.

I didn't say they were not more efficient. I said the difference would be in-perceivable in a real world scenario. Definately not worth an extra 1-200 dollars.

So that 2-3 HP on the butt dyno isn't worth it? Or couldn't be felt?

There's been so many #'s and so much horse crap thrown around in this I hope no one actually tries to get anything from it.

So that 2-3 HP on the butt dyno isn't worth it? Or couldn't be felt?

There's been so many #'s and so much horse crap thrown around in this I hope no one actually tries to get anything from it.

A cool head on pump gas will get you roughly 3-5 horsepower. So will a stock milled head.

It's not difficult to understand.

I've seen gains by as much as 10% just by switching to a custom dome design without adding compression.

A custom chamber can taylor the power to suit your style of riding.. wich is huge!!