swingarm construction

AKheathen

swinger construction?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just trying to get a feel for just how much it matters to everyone what their swinger is made out of. i'd like honest, not dreamer answers. i'm sure most people would rather buy the best, and say so, but once it's time to shell out the money for one, may settle for less than they really want. i left the option for multiple, in case you would choose differntly, depending on if it was new or used. if you can add any other concerns/comments on what is important, or you look for, that would be nice, or whatever :shrugani: explain your choice if you want and why....

Chromoly is obviously the metal of choice, but I have bent several chromoly arms doing what I do. I then had the arms gusseted and never had another issue. For a while I was building and selling mild steel arms with the gusset and never had one complaint. That was on a 1"x2" square tube swingarm.

I now run a Stellar chromoly arched swingarm. It is holding up very well to the beatings I have been giving it. It has a roundhouse carrier which is a must when buying an aftermarket arm. My feeling is that if you can't afford a roundhouse swingarm now, save your money and buy one later. They are just so much more reliable and easy to use.

There are far too many good arms out there these days to buy something that's junk. A lot of times price will most definitely tell the quality of a swingarm.

Do you really want your ass riding on something of questionable strength and reliability? I sure don't.

I prefer the stock style carrier. If you use a tapered bearing carrier with a roundhouse swingarm you lose about half of your chain adjustment. I am sold on the tapered bearing carrier because I have never had to replace the bearings since I put it on and before that I was replacing bearings every 10-12 months. Besides that, I am not lazy when it comes to adjusting my chain and don't mind dealing with a couple extra bolts, even some round housings have 4 bolts to deal with. One other thing that I think is important is it should have skidplate mounts.

well, i personally like the idea of roundhouse, because of the bolts sticking out, which do get snagged, among other reasons. i have also cracked my stock swinger up, too, so it's about time to build a new one. i'm curious, tyler. you say they were bending, but i thought the big problem would be cracks near weld points..... same shock mount area?