35MM pwk jetting

Just got this thing back together and I guess Im a bit rusty with my jetting skills. Plus I have never messed with the 35MM PWK's. So far I really like them over the stock carbs. Alot easier to play with the needle. Anyways...

New Rebuild:

+4mm Stroker 115MM rods

Blaster pistons (intake ports are correct)

HJR MX hardcore porting

Adjustable timing plate @ 0 deg timing

Boss Intake

Vforce Reeds

K&N Pods

FMF Fatty pipes w/powercores

Noss cool head

2700ft above sea level

35MM PWK's : 158 Mains : 48pilot : Needle is @ bottom Clip : Air Screw 1 turn from zero.

The Main jets, pilots and needles were sent with the carbs (Kevin Herr) the needles have me a bit stumped though because they are the same length as the ones that came with the carbs origonally and I dont see a number on them anywhere. Kevin recomended the needle in the middle and 2-21/2 turns from zero on the air screws. I tried that and alot of other settings. So whats listed above is what Ive come up with having the least amount of backfire. Now its less backfire but boggy. I have the carbs synced perfect and checked them every time I changed the needle position. Im totally stumped at this point.

I did pull everything apart to the reed cages and sealed everything up. I cant get it to show any signs of air leaks using starting fluid on all the intake pieces.

From what Ive read Im thinking my pilots might be a size or two too small??

I dont think Ive left anything out that would help.

Thanks

Edited by cudaz101

I have a setup that is fairly close to yours. My 35's are set at pilot=52, air @ 2 turn's out, needle= CEL middle clip, main= 158. I also had a 48 in and I had a dead spot just before 1/4 throttle.

I have a setup that is fairly close to yours. My 35's are set at pilot=52, air @ 2 turn's out, needle= CEL middle clip, main= 158. I also had a 48 in and I had a dead spot just before 1/4 throttle.

thanks for taking the time to post.

Whats your Elevation??

1800' also I have HJR dune port 4mill and shearers on pump gas. So not all the same but none the less I also had problems at 1/4 throttle. It was lean like yours and I could fix it with the needle but then it was way rich in the mid when the miss was gone. So I went up a couple sizes on the pilot then it idled good and the miss was gone. Put the needle back in the middle and the mid was crisp again. Just write down the combo's you try and what it does. When you look back at it that will help you deciding what to try.

Just got this thing back together and I guess Im a bit rusty with my jetting skills. Plus I have never messed with the 35MM PWK's. So far I really like them over the stock carbs. Alot easier to play with the needle. Anyways...

New Rebuild:

+4mm Stroker 115MM rods

Blaster pistons (intake ports are correct)

HJR MX hardcore porting

Adjustable timing plate @ 0 deg timing

Boss Intake

Vforce Reeds

K&N Pods

FMF Fatty pipes w/powercores

Noss cool head

2700ft above sea level

35MM PWK's : 158 Mains : 48pilot : Needle is @ bottom Clip : Air Screw 1 turn from zero.

The Main jets, pilots and needles were sent with the carbs (Kevin Herr) the needles have me a bit stumped though because they are the same length as the ones that came with the carbs origonally and I dont see a number on them anywhere. Kevin recomended the needle in the middle and 2-21/2 turns from zero on the air screws. I tried that and alot of other settings. So whats listed above is what Ive come up with having the least amount of backfire. Now its less backfire but boggy. I have the carbs synced perfect and checked them every time I changed the needle position. Im totally stumped at this point.

I did pull everything apart to the reed cages and sealed everything up. I cant get it to show any signs of air leaks using starting fluid on all the intake pieces.

From what Ive read Im thinking my pilots might be a size or two too small??

I dont think Ive left anything out that would help.

Thanks

Needle should be marked "CEL" or at least something. With no markings, you don't know what you have, and you could be chasing your tail... You might have the wrong needles in there....

1800' also I have HJR dune port 4mill and shearers on pump gas. So not all the same but none the less I also had problems at 1/4 throttle. It was lean like yours and I could fix it with the needle but then it was way rich in the mid when the miss was gone. So I went up a couple sizes on the pilot then it idled good and the miss was gone. Put the needle back in the middle and the mid was crisp again. Just write down the combo's you try and what it does. When you look back at it that will help you deciding what to try.

Oh thanks for the added details of your setup and what you went through. I went and picked up a set of 50 & 52 pilots. Tried the 50's first and it got better but still some backfire. So Im going to swap out to 52 and see what results I net. I did go back to the needle in the middle and 2 turns out on the air screws as well. Checked my pickup clearance and played with the timing a lil bit. I think Im CLOSE =)

I could just call Kevin but I hate bothering the guy. He seems pretty busy.

Thanks again.

Needle should be marked "CEL" or at least something. With no markings, you don't know what you have, and you could be chasing your tail... You might have the wrong needles in there....

I put the clip back at the middle position and the needle did have letters on it. I was looking for a number...heh (my bad) Its a CEL needle and the originals were DWK.

Brad

Went up to a 50 pilot and it cleaned up a lil bit. Maybe the 52 will fix it. Im hoping so.

If that dont work that fkn boss intake is coming off. Ive thought it could be the problem all along. Anyone have any problems with the 2pc section that is sealed up by o-rings?? I didnt use anything on these surfaces besides grease when I put the intake together with the set screws. But I doused it with starting fluid and get nothing...heh

Brad

Went up to a 50 pilot and it cleaned up a lil bit. Maybe the 52 will fix it. Im hoping so.

If that dont work that fkn boss intake is coming off. Ive thought it could be the problem all along. Anyone have any problems with the 2pc section that is sealed up by o-rings?? I didnt use anything on these surfaces besides grease when I put the intake together with the set screws. But I doused it with starting fluid and get nothing...heh

Brad

I applied a thin layer of RTV silicone to seal mine.

I applied a thin layer of RTV silicone to seal mine.

Right on....Well I think Im going to take that thing apart and seal it up before I move ahead with bigger pilots then.

Thanks for the reply bruv.

Brad

The intakes do leak if you don’t rtv every bit of them. 48 to 52 pilots are what that setup takes I just went on the lean side cause of your elevation. Sounds like your close. Don’t be afraid to play with the air screw. Take it down to one turn out if you have to.

Cheers :cheers:

The intakes do leak if you don’t rtv every bit of them. 48 to 52 pilots are what that setup takes I just went on the lean side cause of your elevation. Sounds like your close. Don’t be afraid to play with the air screw. Take it down to one turn out if you have to.

Cheers :cheers:

Thanks for the reply Kev!! Hope you found some time to play last weekend. Ive been busy as a cat burryin shit so Ive only been messing with this thing when I have time to. So I just did get a chance to seal up everything again yesterday and Im going to test fire the bish this morning. This thing has me second guessing myself...lol

I will report back here with the results.

Brad

Took me awhile to report back but yea...It worked. I think the problem was the BOSS intake all along. Should have a not with them recomending a gasket sealing type RTV to save ppl some time, headaches and even damage. Thats my opinion anyways.

At least now I can finally take it out and start dialing it in.

Thanks alot for the quality help.

Brad