Wrist pin C clip failed

Anyone ever have one come out? I have searched and found nothing. But thats what happend to me. Looks like it came out and rode the piston on the side and left 2 deep grooves in the cylinder. banghead Both rods where they mount to the crank are blue? Tons of play in them as well. Im guessing im totally screwed :cry:

Anyone ever have one come out? I have searched and found nothing. But thats what happend to me. Looks like it came out and rode the piston on the side and left 2 deep grooves in the cylinder. banghead Both rods where they mount to the crank are blue? Tons of play in them as well. Im guessing im totally screwed :cry:

Circlips coming out is very rare and usually due to improper installation. On the crank, you need to measure it to know what is going on. thrust washer clearance is key. grab a pic too. It is normal to see some discoloration in that area. That does not always mean the crank is done. You can also have it pressed back together, trued, and welded to stay together.

B

Its tuff to see in the pics. But that piston was missing the clip and has the marks down the side of it.

Yeah, very hard to see in the pics but it looks like the bluing you are seeing is from the grinding of the rod end. If they do not deliver enough coolant or take too large of a bite with the grinder, you will get bluing at the surface.

It sure looks like the crank should come out anyway to clean all that stuff out. That would be a better time for inspection. You need to think like a surgeon when working on it. It only takes one grain of sand to toast a crank.... I did not see where the crank looks to be separating but measuring will tell you.

Only experience similar was the pin droped into transfer port. There weren't any pieces large enough to determine what happened first. One thing I do know was that I reused the clip. Since then I have never reused pin clips. Piston crown was in one piece, below ring land was powder. BTW, this was a T-500 Suki , only two transfer ports, thats how pin could fall into port, lol.

This same thing happened to me, circlip for the wrist pin failed and the wristpin had been scraping the cylinder wall for who knows how long, cut about a .120" groove in it. Ran just fine like that, only found out when the other cylinder gernaded itself. Got it bored .100 over and its still running today.

Edited by austin

Im going to try and get video of the play but it seems like i have alot of play in the tranny. I mean where the clutch bolted too that rod. I can pull it out quite a bit and move it up and down just a little. Is this normal? Really sucks the more i tear it apart the more i need....and all this for a stupid crank seal. But im glad i found all the stuff i need before it really blew and cost alot more :o