Drain plug stripped

Haven't been on here for a while since I haven't been riding much with the cold weather. Now thats its nice again I started to ride my banshee and completely forgot what happened to me around Christmas time. Me and my uncle installed a new clutch and springs and when I was tightening the drain plug on my bottom end I stripped it. We thought that some loctite might do the trick and it did, until a few days ago. I was wondering what my options are. I was thinking of either trying locktite again after I let the fluid drain completely out and getting the threads completely dry or maybe throwing a little weld on it (just a little tack to keep it secure). Let me know what you guys think is the easiest solution.

Loctite has already proven that it will not work if I am correct. Sometimes if you are lucky you can get a new drain plug and put teflon tape on it to secure it a little better. Tack welding it sounds like a bad idea, because at some point you will have to break the tack by either grining it off or trying to twist the drain plug which will most likely snap off.

I had this happen on my car, you can usually find a plug that starts at the same thread size that will cut new threads to accomadate a larger plug. You will want to back the plug out a few times to ensure any shavings dont end up in your bottom end and then flush it with some clean fluid. That is the only thing I can think of that actually works.

I found this site not sure if it will help. Maybe some of the other members have a better fix, this is just my 2 cents.

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plugs_oversize_repair.htm

Haven't been on here for a while since I haven't been riding much with the cold weather. Now thats its nice again I started to ride my banshee and completely forgot what happened to me around Christmas time. Me and my uncle installed a new clutch and springs and when I was tightening the drain plug on my bottom end I stripped it. We thought that some loctite might do the trick and it did, until a few days ago. I was wondering what my options are. I was thinking of either trying locktite again after I let the fluid drain completely out and getting the threads completely dry or maybe throwing a little weld on it (just a little tack to keep it secure). Let me know what you guys think is the easiest solution.

a company called time serts makes the perfect fix for stripped threads look them up

x3 on the oversized plug. They're less than 10 bucks at O'Reilly's. FYI you can also by a compatible stock replacement magnetic plug for about $5 also; as opposed to $15 for a Banshee aftermarket plug.

HELLO.. ITS CALLED HELI-COIL... U TAP THE HOLE WITH THE PROVIDED TAP./.. U INSERT THEHELI COIL AND WAAAAAAAAAAAAA LA. U GOT A PERFECT STARTING POINT AGAIN.. JUST BE SURE WHAT SIZE U HAVE AND THEN JUST GO UP 1 SIZE./. REALLY SIMPLE.. MY GRANDMA CAN EVEN FIGURE THIS OUT... HOPE IT HELPS.. LATA.....

HELLO.. ITS CALLED HELI-COIL... U TAP THE HOLE WITH THE PROVIDED TAP./.. U INSERT THEHELI COIL AND WAAAAAAAAAAAAA LA. U GOT A PERFECT STARTING POINT AGAIN.. JUST BE SURE WHAT SIZE U HAVE AND THEN JUST GO UP 1 SIZE./. REALLY SIMPLE.. MY GRANDMA CAN EVEN FIGURE THIS OUT... HOPE IT HELPS.. LATA.....

Yes,This is what I was going to say to, I did a helicoil on a spark plug well that was made of very soft aluminum block, Put a 100k plug in it them I dumped JB weld in the plug well to ensure it never gets touched again, 5 years now and it still holding. It was stripped bad, The car is A POS so when it breaks its going to the grave yard. Just make sure you run a bottle of cheap oil through you gear box to flush all them metal shavings out when your done.

No, it is not a Heli-Coil. Heli-Coils are like a spring and a Timesert is like an oversize bolt that has the original size thread in it, it is a solid piece of metal. That is why is called an insert and not a coil. It does the same thing as a Heli-Coil in the end result, but it is a different road to get there.

time serts are not the same as heli coils they are ten times better!

No, it is not a Heli-Coil. Heli-Coils are like a spring and a Timesert is like an oversize bolt that has the original size thread in it, it is a solid piece of metal. That is why is called an insert and not a coil. It does the same thing as a Heli-Coil in the end result, but it is a different road to get there.

Never heard of them Timesert, May have to try them next time I have a problem which I hope is never, Here is what I used, They are many different sizes and types.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=helicoil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11816736782579245461&ei=zR_iS8brLcaqlAeF8sj-AQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

There are actually several brands of inserts out there, the good one have pins built into the sides that after you have it screwed in to where you want it, you drive the pins in flush with the surface to lock it in place. Inserts have several advantages over Heli-Coils- they are one solid piece so ther is less chance of leaks, the stay in better when you are removing the fastener, they usually use a standard tap instead of the special Heli Coil tap. The only disadvantage I know of is that sometimes there might not be enough surrounding material in what ever you are trying to fix, a Heli-Coil does not require quite as big of hole.

There are actually several brands of inserts out there, the good one have pins built into the sides that after you have it screwed in to where you want it, you drive the pins in flush with the surface to lock it in place. Inserts have several advantages over Heli-Coils- they are one solid piece so ther is less chance of leaks, the stay in better when you are removing the fastener, they usually use a standard tap instead of the special Heli Coil tap. The only disadvantage I know of is that sometimes there might not be enough surrounding material in what ever you are trying to fix, a Heli-Coil does not require quite as big of hole.

timeserts have a lip on top and the threads are cut with a slight taper at the bottom the insert tool opens it up and locks it in, they will not back out. if it wasn't for timeserts cadilacs would need new blocks when you do head gaskets, they haved saved GM alot off money!! I just saved a customer about 2500 bucks by putting them in the sparkplug holes that he blew plugs out of with 30 psi turbo boost and they are holding great