clutch basket play?

VictorK

my clutch basket has a little play side to side,if I hold the large gear on the back with one hand and grab the fingers part I can get some play side to side.there is no visual damage on the back of the basket so Im wondering if this is normal because I thought the basket wasnt supposed to have play

Any banshee with a stock basket will have this problem eventually, 95% of the clutch baskets i pull out are the ears are notched and the gear moves.the only way to fix it is go billet.

can I run it for the time being and will it get worse or to the point the gear spins freely?

you can replace just the coushins if they are worn, and flip the backing plate to tighten it back up, but it's likely at this time that the fingers on the basket are grooved out, which would just be a waste to do on the coushins. you can drill out the riets and use flathead screws and shallow nuts to put it back together, and if you buy a new oem basket, that is what you would have to do, since they don't come with the gear.

• Like 1

My rule is, if its not to par then it needs to be replace. Its stupid to run a damaged part in anything because you can't escape the inevatable. I havent seen any damage done by using a basket like that but I've never let it get to that point. Id hate to see what happens when a rivet fails and turns you clutch into mercury. You could just do was was already stated, repair or replace don't reuse.

Edited by NickisGod

Actually the fingers aren't grooved much at all I thought the rivets were shot when I realized there's some play so I just pulled the basket and it looks mint visually

you can replace just the coushins if they are worn, and flip the backing plate to tighten it back up, but it's likely at this time that the fingers on the basket are grooved out, which would just be a waste to do on the coushins. you can drill out the riets and use flathead screws and shallow nuts to put it back together, and if you buy a new oem basket, that is what you would have to do, since they don't come with the gear.

The last factory basket that I bought came with the gear on it- it is the only way you can get a gear the last time I checked.31K-16150-10-00 is supposed to be a clutch basket with a driven gear on it. I had to buy one because my kick idler gear snap ring came off and ran through ALL of my primary drive damaging all the gears.

I got the same thing going on with my clutch basket. You can grab the basket and knock it back and forth on the gear. CyclePartsNation has the oem basket and gear for $140. I hear the way to go is billet. What brand to go with and where to buy it? Knowing the oem is all one piece, what's involve in installation?

The last factory basket that I bought came with the gear on it- it is the only way you can get a gear the last time I checked.31K-16150-10-00 is supposed to be a clutch basket with a driven gear on it. I had to buy one because my kick idler gear snap ring came off and ran through ALL of my primary drive damaging all the gears.

Does yours make any noise at all?

Does yours make any noise at all?

No, I replaced the clutch basket, the crank gear, the kick idler gear, and the water pump gear which had broken into multiple peices.

To replace the basket with a billet one, once you have it out of the engine you will have to drill or grind the stock "rivets" from the back side, the rivets are actually material cast into the stock basket and then peened after the gear is installed. Once the rivets are gone pull the gear off and install it on the new basket with the cushions and hardware that came with it per the instructions. Then install the basket back on the engine per the sevice manual.

No, I replaced the clutch basket, the crank gear, the kick idler gear, and the water pump gear which had broken into multiple peices.

To replace the basket with a billet one, once you have it out of the engine you will have to drill or grind the stock "rivets" from the back side, the rivets are actually material cast into the stock basket and then peened after the gear is installed. Once the rivets are gone pull the gear off and install it on the new basket with the cushions and hardware that came with it per the instructions. Then install the basket back on the engine per the sevice manual.

I heard a noise also and inspected,all the gears look fine so I'm just wondering if the basket can make noise when the baskets gear moves around

lol, you ever hear the gear knock on a cat engine? a big tip on the billet basket- use the stock backing plate whenever possible. the stock rivets didn't appear to be "cast" in on my stock basket....they appear to be dropped in, them bucked or pressed on the back side.....i remember hearing from people, that they bought the basket, and it didn't come with a gear, but that was from the dealer....if anyone's interested, i did a writup pinned @ the top of repairs/mods