PISTON RING INSTALLATION help!

vbanshee

one side of my banshee is smoking and leaks oil out of the right exhaust the left is just fine... my bike runs perfect, however i was told that the rings on the right side needs new piston rings. is there a certain way to put them on or just put them on the piston and put it in the cylinder???????????????

what kinda pistons. Wiseco pro lites have little tabs in the ring lands that locate the gap, you will have a hell of time gettin the cylinder to slide over if the gap isnt positined right!

Cody

they are wiseco pistons but where do i know where to position the gap?

Lets stop for a minute and analyze this. New piston rings will probably NOT fix your problem because a Banshee is a 2 stroke motor. If it was a 4 stroke motor the problem could be piston rings or some other stuff I won't go into because it does not apply here. The only way rings will cause this on a Banshee is if the compression is so low that the cylinder is not firing properly, and if that is the case you should probably be boring the cylinders and putting in new rings AND PISTONS. If the right side is smoking on a Banshee. the problem is most likely that the crankshaft seal is bad and it is sucking tranny oil into the crankcase and that oil burning is what is causing it to smoke. The proper way to diagnose this is to do a leakdown test while the motor was still together. Since you did not do that, at this point I would put the new rings in and hope for the best. The Wiseco pistons have a little tiny pin in each ring groove, the ends of the rings should go on each side of this pin so you can compress the rings to get the cylinder back on. Once you have it back together, if it still smokes you need to do a leakdown test. If it won't hold pressure, then I would pull the clutch cover to see if it is leaking at the right crankshaft seal.

Lets stop for a minute and analyze this. New piston rings will probably NOT fix your problem because a Banshee is a 2 stroke motor. If it was a 4 stroke motor the problem could be piston rings or some other stuff I won't go into because it does not apply here. The only way rings will cause this on a Banshee is if the compression is so low that the cylinder is not firing properly, and if that is the case you should probably be boring the cylinders and putting in new rings AND PISTONS. If the right side is smoking on a Banshee. the problem is most likely that the crankshaft seal is bad and it is sucking tranny oil into the crankcase and that oil burning is what is causing it to smoke. The proper way to diagnose this is to do a leakdown test while the motor was still together. Since you did not do that, at this point I would put the new rings in and hope for the best. The Wiseco pistons have a little tiny pin in each ring groove, the ends of the rings should go on each side of this pin so you can compress the rings to get the cylinder back on. Once you have it back together, if it still smokes you need to do a leakdown test. If it won't hold pressure, then I would pull the clutch cover to see if it is leaking at the right crankshaft seal.

I would have to agree. He is on the money. Firt thinf is a compression test and a leakdown test just to make sure your motor is tight and cylinders are doing their job then go from there.the motor needs to hold 6lbs of pressure for 5 min.

Edited by SD1026

X2 good info there. You also wanna make sure with the ring in the cylinder that you have a 10 to 12 thousandths ring gap with the new rings in the cyl.

I think if you sync the carbs you will see em both start smoking the same as well.