detonation?

BigMatt

I just advanced my timming +4 my setup is trail port, wesco pistons. I'm alittle worried about detonation, all though I'm running 93oct/ 40-1 r-50 klots, its alittle oil rich, my plugs are just alittlle dark unless all I do is rip on it than there golden, I'm going to try 50-1 but was wondering I dont want to start mixing race fuel but am alittle nervouse about detonation is there any way to tell if your detonating before its to late, I know about plugs coming loose, but mine are socked down, what should you tourque your spark plugs down to L.B. if there to tight than detonation wont lossen them will it? thanks alot guys,

Tight plugs won't prevent detonation problems....if the plugs don't back out, the O-rings or head gasket will just blow out. Once that happens, and you quench the hot pistons with water and the ring lands squish down and clamp the rings you can plan on a new set of pistons. (It happend to me, it could happen to you.) Stay at 40:1. 50:1 won't make you more power. Race fuel doesn't CAUSE detonation...it PREVENTS it. Check you compression and then ask about fuel needs based on the compression. If you can do a squish check it will help with the info also.

Tight plugs won't prevent detonation problems....if the plugs don't back out, the O-rings or head gasket will just blow out. Once that happens, and you quench the hot pistons with water and the ring lands squish down and clamp the rings you can plan on a new set of pistons. (It happend to me, it could happen to you.) Stay at 40:1. 50:1 won't make you more power. Race fuel doesn't CAUSE detonation...it PREVENTS it. Check you compression and then ask about fuel needs based on the compression. If you can do a squish check it will help with the info also.

my compression is around 120-125 warm, I know race fuel prevents it. but was wondering if I was rich on oil, than that could in turn... dilute the gas bringing the octane level down causing detonation, I could be wrong just want to make sure.

also I have a stock head with no milling.

i ment to type Wiseco pistons

so im good? thanks guys got a trip planed to silver lake and want to make sure is all good!

If your going to Silver Lake the bigger concern should be to do some plug cops when you get there to make sure your jetting is good. ( Alot of times Banshee jettings aren't set up for all the high speed, wide open riding like you find in the dunes.) I think you'll be fine with that timing at your compression. Enjoy the sand. I won't make it up there till late May.

When you pull your plugs to check them, look for little grey specks on the porcelain. They say on here that it's little peices of your piston, caused by detonation.

thanks for all the good info, my jetting and mix would be great for dunes, when I rip on it hard the plugs look good, its when I trail ride they look alittle dark.