"Project" bikes

I'm looking to get my first banshee. I had a dirtbike for a long time, sold it to get a jetski, be sorry ever since(well except for the days I'm on the ski). I've always loved the banshees so gonna finally try buying one.

Looking to spend under $2,500, which seems to be doable in my area. Just looking for one in decent shape, maybe that comes with a pipe and set of paddles, but nothin fancy.

Occasionally I've seen the ads that say ran great last year and now it won't start. Usually this comes with a $1,500 price tag. Just wondering if anyone's had good luck with stuff like this, on one hand the idiot might just not have gas in it and on the other he could be trying to pawn his blown bike onto someone.

Seems like since I've got the ability to work on my own stuff, as long as it has good compression these kinda deals might work out???

Definitely shop around as much as you can and you'll find what you're looking for. I found mine for $1200 blown up but with a spare motor that I could've used some parts off of. After that I tore it down to the bare frame and got stupid with it and currently have close to $4000 in it and just got my rolling chassis done a week ago. Shop around...

When I bought mine from some stranger on CL I knew going into it that it was going to be a "project bike"

Talked him down to $1100, came with 3 sets of tires, but...

I had to turn around and replace, clean and rebuild almost everything. Spending another $800-$900 back into it. Its just a trail bike, not a show bike. Im happy with it, like mentioned above parts are cheap and find them anywhere. Yeah I could have just spent that $900 up front and got a "better bike"????Sure, but at least this way I know what has been done to it and what to keep an eye on. Last thing you want is to be broke down on the trail somewhere having to walk. Good luck

I'm looking to get my first banshee. I had a dirtbike for a long time, sold it to get a jetski, be sorry ever since(well except for the days I'm on the ski). I've always loved the banshees so gonna finally try buying one.

Looking to spend under $2,500, which seems to be doable in my area. Just looking for one in decent shape, maybe that comes with a pipe and set of paddles, but nothin fancy.

Occasionally I've seen the ads that say ran great last year and now it won't start. Usually this comes with a $1,500 price tag. Just wondering if anyone's had good luck with stuff like this, on one hand the idiot might just not have gas in it and on the other he could be trying to pawn his blown bike onto someone.

Seems like since I've got the ability to work on my own stuff, as long as it has good compression these kinda deals might work out???

I was in the exact same position as you before, when I sold my 1st banshee. I knew from the day after I signed the bill of sale that I had made a mistake. Now I am building a new one. I bought it for 1800 cdn, and if I didnt screw up on the rebuild that I did, Id be riding it tomorrow! Look on here in the sales forums, and on ebay for guys with good reps for parts if you need to do it on a budget.

Welcome to the site, this is your one stop shop for advice and parts!

I was in the exact same position as you before, when I sold my 1st banshee. I knew from the day after I signed the bill of sale that I had made a mistake. Now I am building a new one. I bought it for 1800 cdn, and if I didnt screw up on the rebuild that I did, Id be riding it tomorrow! Look on here in the sales forums, and on ebay for guys with good reps for parts if you need to do it on a budget.

Welcome to the site, this is your one stop shop for advice and parts!