sand geckos

red360

2 of my friends run geckos on yfz450s and 2 run sand stars. believe it or not the bike with the geckos is the fastest all bikes have same mods pipe, k&n, jetted.

i smell bullshit. geckos are garbage. they dont get shit for traction, the paddles are short and the design is horrible. will they "work" in sand? yes. will they work "well" in sand? no. as far as price goes, as somebody already said," save money by doing it right the first time". and if money is tight, its not impossible to find used paddles at a good price.

They are nothing better than egg beaters for the sand. I have never seen a bike they work well on when compared to a hauler.

To give you a idea of what I'm talking about, a guy in our group had a set on his 700 rappy. I gave him a set of 8 blade haulers that were wore down to about the height of a glider, and it mad a world of difference for him. Better climbing, faster and a better running tire all around.

So, I guess if you think that gecko tires a great, try out a real paddle and see what you have been missing!

i run 20/10/10 10 cup haulers on my 4 mill and one time i got on my sons 4 mill with skateII (v typ) and nearly laid it over when i did a u turn to come back down the dune. haulers are the only way to go IMO. just rember to let off when it comes time to turn untill you get the hang of them.

Just went on a trip with 10 guys...three of us (2 Banshees and a Raptor) had either Haulers or Extremes...there was nothing we couldn't climb,and we tested the hell out of our bikes...and ourselves. Don't know anything about Gekos, but Sand Stars appear to be crap as well...two 450's, a KFX 700, and two 400's with us all had Sand Stars....couldn't do half what the guys with Haulers/Extremes could...it wasn't even close...and it wasn't a matter of power with the 450's and the KFX 700...it was ONLY a matter of traction.

As far as Haulers vs. Extremes go...both great. The Extreme's have a longer paddle (goes further out to the edge of the tire) and I've heard the paddle is much stiffer than the regular Haulers...and therefore, they're supposed to last a lot longer. My only problem is that I bought 20" tires...and I got a lot of chain-binding...whereas if I'd have bought 22" tires, it'd a been better...wouldn't have high-centered as much.

But if you just need a cruiser tire to put around the dunes on...I don't think it matters much what you buy. Cheap is good if that's your aim. Just get out there and have fun.

i think you guys are being a little harsh on the geckos. there like a $100 for a set they get the job done not everyones got $200 to spend on a set of skat traks. dont get me wrong i run haulers myself but 2 of my friends run geckos on yfz450s and 2 run sand stars and there is no place where the one can go and the others cant. believe it or not the bike with the geckos is the fastest all bikes have same mods pipe, k&n, jetted.

there crap unless you want to buy mine...lol

i run 20/10/10 10 cup haulers on my 4 mill and one time i got on my sons 4 mill with skateII (v typ) and nearly laid it over when i did a u turn to come back down the dune. haulers are the only way to go IMO. just rember to let off when it comes time to turn untill you get the hang of them.

Anything Skat-Trak is great. I love haulers or extremes!

Just went on a trip with 10 guys...three of us (2 Banshees and a Raptor) had either Haulers or Extremes...there was nothing we couldn't climb,and we tested the hell out of our bikes...and ourselves. Don't know anything about Gekos, but Sand Stars appear to be crap as well...two 450's, a KFX 700, and two 400's with us all had Sand Stars....couldn't do half what the guys with Haulers/Extremes could...it wasn't even close...and it wasn't a matter of power with the 450's and the KFX 700...it was ONLY a matter of traction.

As far as Haulers vs. Extremes go...both great. The Extreme's have a longer paddle (goes further out to the edge of the tire) and I've heard the paddle is much stiffer than the regular Haulers...and therefore, they're supposed to last a lot longer. My only problem is that I bought 20" tires...and I got a lot of chain-binding...whereas if I'd have bought 22" tires, it'd a been better...wouldn't have high-centered as much.

But if you just need a cruiser tire to put around the dunes on...I don't think it matters much what you buy. Cheap is good if that's your aim. Just get out there and have fun.

those must be some awsome hills if those quads wouldn't climb them with the sand stars! post some pics please

those must be some awsome hills if those quads wouldn't climb them with the sand stars! post some pics please

There's a vid...see the "Florence 010" idiot hole vid....up in the vids section right now. So the very first few riding clips...they couldn't do that hill climb and make that sharp, steep turn at the end that you see us doing (they made the climb, but would high center and bury themselves at the turn. Nor could them make the idiot hole at the end. The vid doesn't do the steepness justice...nor the depth of the sand. To save you time...here's the link:

There's a vid...see the "Florence 010" idiot hole vid....up in the vids section right now. So the very first few riding clips...they couldn't do that hill climb and make that sharp, steep turn at the end that you see us doing (they made the climb, but would high center and bury themselves at the turn. Nor could them make the idiot hole at the end. The vid doesn't do the steepness justice...nor the depth of the sand. To save you time...here's the link:

that looks like a great place to ride, great vids also thanks

nice video, it actually helps show how useless the gecko is! at about the 1:50 mark i see what looks to be a kawasaki 450 get stuck at the top of really small "hill" (if you can call it that lol).