Unreal stock sand set-up

badasman

Just got back from coos bay - Myself and four good friends were racing up boxcar . All our banshees are somewhat built. All are piped -advanced timing - coolheads- extented swingarms , Haulers-one friend runs race gas -ported - high compession ect. Our Banshees are not cubs or stroker bikes , but all run Strong. Anyway this guy Tom shows up , Didnt get his last name. 04 banshee - Totally stock internal motor / His setup, Toomey t6 pipes ,he said he used the toomey jet kit that came with the pipes. 6" extended swingarm , 11x12x8 haulers ,stock front tires , k&n filters off the stock carbs. Pump gas. He said his weigth was 185 /about the same as most of us.We are all very good riders , But EVERY time this guy got a fair start he would pull us about 1/2 bike length. NO / we do know how to race.Has anyone used these t6 pipes and or tire combo. I asked if I could ride his quad but he said sorry. I looked his banshee over and the motor looked to be never touched to me. Has anyone used the new t6 pipes and or this tire -Swingarm combo on a stock banshee ?? This thing was STRONG.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock motor=BULLSHIT. Toomey T6's are made for stock porting but there is no way in hell he would beat your bikes. Stock carbs will make high hp. I'm sure he had a +4 long rod crank maybe bigger, shaved stock head, advanced timing, poted cylinders, and good reeds for stock cages. Sounds like one the assholes that ruined Banshee Wars. He's just rolling around under cover stalking prey, I'm surprised your story didn't begin with you losing money racing against a well tuned stock motor.

Just got back from coos bay - Myself and four good friends were racing up boxcar . All our banshees are somewhat built. All are piped -advanced timing - coolheads- extented swingarms , Haulers-one friend runs race gas -ported - high compession ect. Our Banshees are not cubs or stroker bikes , but all run Strong. Anyway this guy Tom shows up , Didnt get his last name. 04 banshee - Totally stock internal motor / His setup, Toomey t6 pipes ,he said he used the toomey jet kit that came with the pipes. 6" extended swingarm , 11x12x8 haulers ,stock front tires , k&n filters off the stock carbs. Pump gas. He said his weigth was 185 /about the same as most of us.We are all very good riders , But EVERY time this guy got a fair start he would pull us about 1/2 bike length. NO / we do know how to race.Has anyone used these t6 pipes and or tire combo. I asked if I could ride his quad but he said sorry. I looked his banshee over and the motor looked to be never touched to me. Has anyone used the new t6 pipes and or this tire -Swingarm combo on a stock banshee ?? This thing was STRONG.

How can you tell if the motor was never touched. My motor looks stock except for the pipes and the Toomey 2 into 1 air filter, but it is not. And it is hard to tell if I have ever been into it because I use all Yamaha gaskets and seals. I would bet money he was jerking your chain saying it was stock, when in reality it may have been very built.There is absolutely no need for a 6 inch arm on a bike that has nothing more than pipes and filters.

Guys, we do things a little different for Oregon. Alot of guys run the longer arms because they do the idiot holes. It can get pretty steep and hairy in the holes, so the front end comes up on you alot. I had a +6 on my bike from day one when I got it. When it started out it had just pipes and bolt-ons. In the holes even then the front end would creep up on me. Often times you will see most of the guys in the NW running completely different sand setups than people anywhere else. Different chassis, gearing, etc.......

Guys, we do things a little different for Oregon. Alot of guys run the longer arms because they do the idiot holes. It can get pretty steep and hairy in the holes, so the front end comes up on you alot. I had a +6 on my bike from day one when I got it. When it started out it had just pipes and bolt-ons. In the holes even then the front end would creep up on me. Often times you will see most of the guys in the NW running completely different sand setups than people anywhere else. Different chassis, gearing, etc.......

You are right about Oregon setups but that is wgere I am from, I ride the Oregon Dunes almost exclusively. I have a fairly built 350, an old school build from the long gone JD Racing. I run a 4 inch swingarm and I can climb pretty much anything I want with it. I had a buddy with a 6 inch and a little hotter build than I have and when I rode it, I hated it because the front would not come up like mine when I needed it to. So I stick with my comment of there is no need for a 6 inch arm with a stock motor. Hell, back in the early to mid 90s, no one would tell you what they were really running, just because of their ego- if they lost, then you only beat a stock bike, not some money pit. If they won then they beat you with a stock bike. Also, some people say it is a stock bike if it is a 350 no matter how much they have done to it.

Up until this last rebuild I was running a 4mil on 110 with full fenders and heel guards that looked completely stock except for pipes, and K&N's. The swinger was +4 but was the stock style so you had to really know what you were looking at to tell the difference. I was running 22x11x10 9 paddle extremes so the tires were not an obvious sign of massive modifications. Many times I would pull up next to the blinged out bikes that were "fast" and by the end of the race they were trying to catch up to me to find out what was done to my bike. Point being that looks can be deceiving. I am still running stock cylinders on my 421 on alky and I expect many people to under estimate the bike because of the lack of bling and overall stock looking motor. Although the +8 and 72" R.O. paddles make it much more obvious there is something there.

However If it is jetted, piped and the timing is advanced it could be a bit of a runner although I would tend to believe there may be some porting that has been done even if they don't cop to it.

Just my $.02.

I put a package together for a kid with no internal motor work (all bolt ons)cpi's, and stock carbs. He went out and smoked his buddies full drap ported JSD 350 that had cpi's, and 35mm pwk's on it. It all has to do with setup, parts combos, and tuning. Those 8" rim paddles are good for a bike length over the same exact setup with a 10" rim on it. Go to an ultra light and you get 2 bike lengths over a 10" rim paddle.

• 2 months later...

Setup does a lot for a bike..especially a good set of light paddles with good roll-out..I have helped my buddies setup a few bikes on a budget and the right tire/swingarm/pipes/carb tuning makes a whole world of difference..I also have a buddy with a ported/stock swingarmed banshee that tells everyone its just piped lol

i guess its the same everywhere. we got people here that run stock cylinders sleeved to 70 plus millimeters, then ported inside to look like cubs, 4 mil cranks, and then claim that they are stock stroke, stock cylinder bikes. what the hell are we supposed to believe, that these people are mad scientists with magical powers and can squeeze more power out of stock cylinders than anyone else....come on. its rediculous, but very funny. all you can do is laugh and walk away.