Problems idling and backfire

I had the quad idling and running fine. Took it for a 20 min ride and everything was running well. Towards the end it wanted to die, now it wont idle very well. When it does start it backfires i can keep it running with the throttle it just wont idle and backfires. i tried adjusting the idle on carb and it doesnt seem to respond. Im pretty new to riding so any suggestions would help. Thanks.

yes, basics.....such as spark plugs......what do they liik like, and have you tried replacing them? good blue spark?

spark plugs look good but are old. I bought the shee from a guy earlier this week and he had it sitting in storage for a few years. I brought it home and changed fluids and cleaned and checked the carbs. it looked like it had 200 or 220 main jets (bad lighting, couldnt really make it out). I live in south dakota w a elevation of 1500 and its about 40 to 50 out right now. everything is pretty much stock as far as the motor and carbs go as far as i can tell. Does this sound about right. Heading in to get new plugs and ill check for leaks. I will let ya guys know what i come up w. Thanks a lot. Im new to banshees, so im sure some of this sounds pretty amateur.

Most of the time, its a carb problem. If it still does it after changing the plugs, clean the carbs again. Make sure you clear out the pilots.

[/quot

ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk. i just seized my right cylinder. my guess is it wasn't getting gas. possibly the needle stuck. i should have know when it didn't want to idle. i changed the plugs and was gonna run through the gears and check the plugs. ran through the gears, slowed down and shifted into first and the thing seized. This is my first two stroke and really my first quad. I guess this is how you learn. Gonna head to a buds shop and start the tear down. Any suggestions of what to look for would be great.

oh, shit. guess you learned the hard way- no means no. if she doesn't wanna go, fix it. look for melting on the piston, ususally rounding out the exhaust side of the crown. check your intakes between the reeds and carbs for cracking. check to see if the ring(s) caught the port, and basically go through everything with a fine tooth comb. you have aftermarket exhaust, or air filter setup, or removed the lid and snorkel? that should have been jetted for.

oh, and check to see if that little peice of vaccume line is hooked up between the 2 carbs. it goes from the backside of the choke strait across to a nipple where the choke would be on the other carb....