Replacing the shift shaft seal

Alright so I asked this question before but just now started the process, i couldn't take the seal off by picking it out with a screw driver or anything so this guy i talked to from Vitos told me to take the clutch over off and drain all the fluids so i did that. Then he said that the shift rod should slide right out but its hitting something so its not letting me pull it out. If your looking at the service manual its on page 171 and picture 84 is what am looking at. When i try pulling it off its hitting something under the clutch basket? Everyone makes it sounds easier said that done lol, so if you can help me that would be great. I took the foot peg, kick started off so there is nothing in the way to prevent this this thing from coming out.

Thanks for the help! :shootself:

Do you have your clutch basket off?

To remove the seal you can ether punch it out from the clutch side or this is what i do. Find 2 small screws with coarse threads and drill them into the seal one on each side. Then get a pair of vise grips or pliers and pull it out easy.

No i don't have the clutch basket off i just have the clutch over off. I was hoping i wouldn't have to take the clutch basket off because i don't really know what am doing. so am hoping there is an easier way to do it

Your basket Needs to come off. Its ONE 32 mm nut. Very simple. Get an old shop rag, stuff it between the gears on the back. Bend down the tab on the lock washer thats under the big nut, undo the nut and its off. Repeat steps to put it on. Use an impact if you have one. much easier.

Your clymers explains it, but for real its very simple and quick, dont be intimidated by the nut..yes its a big one but it wont bite you :)

Were all here to help if needed.

i dont see why you need to do any of that. its just a seal. it should pop right out of there. i dont see any need to have pulled the clutch cover.

try screwing a small screw into the seal or using a very small screw driver. it shouldnt be that hard to come out. otherwise, yes you will have to take the clutch basket off to get the shift shaft out.

i dont see why you need to do any of that. its just a seal. it should pop right out of there. i dont see any need to have pulled the clutch cover.

try screwing a small screw into the seal or using a very small screw driver. it shouldnt be that hard to come out. otherwise, yes you will have to take the clutch basket off to get the shift shaft out.

I tried doing that but it was just cutting the seal into little pieces and theirs no way to get it out by doing it that way. so it looks like i have to take everything apart

Dude, use one of them hobbyist picks, use the end with the 90 degree bend..... ive changed out several. If it tears into pieces so what, keep prying on it, itll pop right out.... better than taking half your motor apart for a seal.

I agree. Leave the shaft in it. Use a seal pick...dig into the seal and yank it out. Slide it off the end of the shaft and off the splines that the shifter sits on. Put some oil on the new seal and gently slide it back onto the shaft into the case. Use your fingers to seat it in its home and done. Good luck.