Melted Same Pistion Again..HELP!

Driggs

So I rebuilt my top end (bought it used and didn’t have much compression) and after running hard, I melted my left piston. Did another rebuild, installed new crank and top end, rebuilt my carbs, went to 300 on my jets, did a leak down, held 6lbs for 6 minutes and this past weekend, after running WOT, melted the same piston again!!! My mods are..T5's, K&N, stock air box, no lid, 300 jets, boysen reeds. Been told that my jugs have had port work done just don't know what kind. What would be causing this issue? Something in my left carb maybe? I don't want to rebuild this thing for the third time just to have the same issue. She ran amazing before the melt down but just got the opportunity to run WOT this past weekend. She would die when I would let off the throttle and I was dumping the clutch to start her back up then she just died for good.

I did replace crank seals. I'm going to do another leak down before I tear it apart to make sure that isn’t the cause.

I'll post pics of the plugs tonight. Was planning on doing a plug chop this weekend but as soon as I went WOT, it melted.

I'm going to replace the petcock and gas cap this time around to be safe. The float height is good.

It shouldn't be a crank seal or intake boot if you were holding pressure with a leak down test....

take a look at the floats, but if she was running amazing right before the melt down that sounds doubtful too.

I've ran stock cylinders with the same mods at around 310-320 mains with stock carbs. If you have porting I would think you would be a richer on your jetting. Where are you at? Elevation, temperature, compression, type of gas? Is it detonating? What are you running for a head? Is it getting hot? Did you run the jetting up until it started puking on itself then back down until it cleaned up? Then check your plugs. That's the only way I know to make sure you are rich enough and not smoke it. Do you have a plate in the airbox for the K+N? How is it mounted? Not sucking dirt or something?

Forgot about the Cool Head w/ 20 cc domes on the list of mods. I'm running pump gas, 93 octain. I do my riding in south GA and central FL and the weathers been 60+ the few times I've rode before this happened. The K&N has the plate for mounting in the stock airbox. I was at 270 when the first melt down happened, then went to 300 this time around. It was running very strong in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The only time I got up to the higher gears is when it melted. Sounds like I need to go up even more on the jets next time. Bought a set of carbs last week on here, looks like I'll try them next time just to be safe. I just hope all the metal shavings didnt f up my new crank with less than 3 hrs on it!!! Thanks for all the help.

Forgot about the Cool Head w/ 20 cc domes on the list of mods. I'm running pump gas, 93 octain. I do my riding in south GA and central FL and the weathers been 60+ the few times I've rode before this happened. The K&N has the plate for mounting in the stock airbox. I was at 270 when the first melt down happened, then went to 300 this time around. It was running very strong in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The only time I got up to the higher gears is when it melted. Sounds like I need to go up even more on the jets next time. Bought a set of carbs last week on here, looks like I'll try them next time just to be safe. I just hope all the metal shavings didnt f up my new crank with less than 3 hrs on it!!! Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like you might still be slightly lean, you are running to small of dome for pump gas if you are around sea level. Between the 2 it doen't take much to melt a piston.

With that small of a dome you should at least be running a pump/race mix if not straight race fuel. I would also say it is to lean with 300s, I would put 330s or 340s in it and do a plug chop and go from there. I would not change carbs, I would make sure all the passages are clean on the carbs that are on it when you rejet. Take them completely apart 1 at a time so nothing gets mixed up between them, some parts are different between the left and right carb. Once they are apart, spray cleaner through all the passages and blow them out with air and then put them back together.

Can't believe my jetting was that far off. Hate learning the hard way banghead but it's only time and money, neither which I have lots of. I'll rebuild and use bigger jets and try again. Thanks for all the help guys. :notworthy:

You are gonna learn another hard lesson if you put that motor back together w/o splitting the case again to completely clean the bottom end of all debri. If you melted down a piston and run it like that again w/a new top end, you may as well of thrown a handfull of sand down in the case why you were at it. You need to clean everything and roll all bearings of the crank to feel for grit or resistance in the bearings. You should be able to clean everything up an be ok but do not put that thing together w/o a clean and inspection.

And you are definately lean. As mentioned, it doesn't hurt to start out so rich that you are fouling plugs, you can always go down from there. 340-350 range should give you an idea. And when you go to ride it, don't just pin it right away. Slowly give it some throttle, working up to very short bursts of having it pinned. Take your time unless you have a buncha cash you wanna throw away.