Trails or Dune...Which requires more skill.

Trail riders or dune riders  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only 2 people drove out of that hole I was in. There was about 6 people that hiked down to the bottom and watched, and 10 people at the top looking down. There is a lot more to it than gas and just go. A powerful bike, good take off, good traction, proper weight transition, and quick reflexes are needed to get out of idiot holes. Guaranteed a good majority of you guys would take at least 10-15 tries to get out if you can even do it at all. When I got out, it was my 4th try. In person its a lot more intimidating than on a video (very steep). There was trees, roots, water, etc.... down there.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 2 people drove out of that hole I was in. There was about 6 people that hiked down to the bottom and watched, and 10 people at the top looking down. There is a lot more to it than gas and just go. A powerful bike, good take off, good traction, proper weight transition, and quick reflexes are needed to get out of idiot holes. Guaranteed a good majority of you guys would take at least 10-15 tries to get out if you can even do it at all. When I got out, it was my 4th try. In person its a lot more intimidating than on a video (very steep). There was trees, roots, water, etc.... down there.

Sounds a lot like hillclimbing. Add in some jumps and occasionally a 90 degree turn and that's what I am doing all year long. Well, on dirt anyway.

maybe a better worded question is the go.....

when i think dunes i think open space and things to climb and drop offs to avoid. When i think trails, i think trees narrow tracks and obsticles.

ive trailed around/through dune area's and ive climbed rocky, hard as trail hill's in the forrest.

id say going fast and turning tight trails going threw whoops and trying to keep it pinned takes a bit more skill than to climb stuff, not saying climbing stuff is easy but there's alot more stuff to watch out for in the forrest.

hill climbing and tree shots are another thing all together.

Sounds a lot like hillclimbing. Add in some jumps and occasionally a 90 degree turn and that's what I am doing all year long. Well, on dirt anyway.

Yeah, I watched some of your videos, and what you do is alot like this. Except you usually have to dodge trees, and make quite a few turns. You almost always dont have a way out, you pretty much back down about 75% of the idiot holes in Oregon.

yup, now just add water at the bottom of the hill. :D you'd be suprised about how much more intimidating a hill gets when theres a lake or river at the bottom. the thought of your bike tumbling back down the hill into the water will make you think twice about a lot of tree shots or "idiot holes". :unsure:

tree shots are a part of riding in the dunes. especially in oregon.

maybe a better worded question is the go.....

when i think dunes i think open space and things to climb and drop offs to avoid. When i think trails, i think trees narrow tracks and obsticles.

ive trailed around/through dune area's and ive climbed rocky, hard as trail hill's in the forrest.

id say going fast and turning tight trails going threw whoops and trying to keep it pinned takes a bit more skill than to climb stuff, not saying climbing stuff is easy but there's alot more stuff to watch out for in the forrest.

There you go dirty. Now show them what can happen in the trails! Ya, you know the vid!

I think the problem here is that most of the people are en-visioning the oregon sand dunes as a wide open desert like California, nevada, and Utah. When in fact there are trails, holes, whoop roads, whoop trails, just about everything you can think of out there. There is trees, european desert grass, and water everywhere ass well. Its not a desert.

I think the problem here is that most of the people are en-visioning the oregon sand dunes as a wide open desert like California, nevada, and Utah. When in fact there are trails, holes, whoop roads, whoop trails, just about everything you can think of out there. There is trees, european desert grass, and water everywhere ass well. Its not a desert.

thats exactly what the problem is.

yeh my bad, all the vids ive seen of tree shots and that in oregon i thought (visioned) that all that was on the out skirts of the dunes, not in it. Sounds like a great place to ride with everything there.

haha drewski !!!, ok heres the vid haha, but it was one of my first rides of a quad and first ride in the trails. (funny none the less)

http://www.youtube.com/user/sixhunt#p/u/22/6ztlCz13XeI

what the hell is european desert grass? theres a desert in europe?

European Desert Grass

DAMN, i cant wait to go back. Don't think theres any dunes around like the Oregon dunes so many areas and places to go...crazy fun sand trails, steep tree shots and an over all variety of stuff :cheers:

I only ride dunes but I have ridden trails a few times and I say trails takes much more skill. There are trails on the dunes I ride too but I have also ridden dirt trails. The only skills you need to ride dunes are watching out for all the drunk assholes  who aren't paying attention really, and both require fast reaction time.