Trails or Dune...Which requires more skill.

Trail riders or dune riders  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so this is wide open dunes and I can go wherever I want? at one point trying to get out of this, I was in the lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBUrZfHcYc

ok add trees, roots, wet leaves, and rocks to that.

cool vid though, not sure the other requires much skill than balls and speed, but it was cool also

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so this is wide open dunes and I can go wherever I want? at one point trying to get out of this, I was in the lake.

I suppose this takes no talent too.

I take the Rhino out in the capitol forest all the time. There isn't anything there that gives you the vibe that it will kill you.

Ya sorry snop, not a whole lot of skill involved there id say. Just pin it to win it!

Cody

ok add trees, roots, wet leaves, and rocks to that.

cool vid though, not sure the other requires much skill than balls and speed, but it was cool also

i would pay to see you try that. gurantee you'd end up in the water.

Then you try it.

word.

Your kidding right? Skipping water ain't shit to do. If I can do it on two wheels, anyone with big enough balls can do it on 4.

Besides, are the dunes the only place you can find water to skip? Didn't think so.

i wasnt talkng about the water skipping. i was talkin about the tree shot with the water at the bottom. <_<

been on steeper hills on trails then that one in the vid and made it up fine, plus these damn hills had trees and turns . Not saying it doesnt take skill, because it does, im just saying that there are plenty of trails out there with hills as steep as that and less traction.

I suppose this takes no talent too.

I take the Rhino out in the capitol forest all the time. There isn't anything there that gives you the vibe that it will kill you.

come on now! while that hillshoot was badass, its pretty much hit the throttle and go. no trees, rocks, branches or ruts to get you to change direction quickly. basically pin it and go.. but, it was badass and id like to ride that shit for sure. hillclimbing in general can get tricky for sure.

also, that water crossing doesnt really relate to either dunes or trails as we can find water anywhere. i will say though that the guy on that 3 wheeler has large balls to be trying that. ive never done a water crossing. i think i need to try this year.

LOL those videos were hilarious, TUFF stuff.... Id have to say that 80% of the sand/gravel pits i ride in have a pond in them with a huge hill behind it with a 4 ft lip at the top. I see crap like that everyday. I skip water pretty much everytime i go riding and 60% of the time its accidental because im going to fast and cant see the enormous puddle coming.

come on now! while that hillshoot was badass, its pretty much hit the throttle and go. no trees, rocks, branches or ruts to get you to change direction quickly. basically pin it and go.. but, it was badass and id like to ride that shit for sure. hillclimbing in general can get tricky for sure.

also, that water crossing doesnt really relate to either dunes or trails as we can find water anywhere. i will say though that the guy on that 3 wheeler has large balls to be trying that. ive never done a water crossing. i think i need to try this year.

Glad there are some people agreeing with me, that hillshoot was all gas!

I guess trails would seem harder for those of you that do not like to make decisions. Seriously, trails are something you follow, no decision making at all beside whether to run over the rock or stop before you get there.

If all your rocks and trees were the identicle color of the dirt, and you couldnt tell where the other people before you had ridden, then maybe trails. But rut ridding isnt very difficult, i mean, you know someone else has went there.

Dunes by far are more difficult, im not talking about the salt flats, the Dunes where it looks nice and flat but is far from it. If you ride 15 mins away from the parking lot, then the real dunes are there. all anyone shows on youtube and stuff is the parking lot, or the line to shoot the hill, or the whooped out drag strip.

Camera wouldnt make it long in the real dunes, all the bumps and movement would kill it. I have seen so many busted and abandoned bikes and rails out in the dunes(picked apart or being guarded while someone gets a strap), because you really dont know whats 20 yards in front of you. You gotta be on your toes the entire time, what if you are blasting along and... oops, there is a witches eye ready to swallow your right front tire? do you bail, try to ride it out, wheelie over it? perhaps if you were lucky enough to see it 5 seconds before you go over the bars.

Definitely an adrenaline rush taking your line and riding out the decision you made, not following some one elses trail and hope there is not a rock to ruin your day. And the dunes we have here in Utah, got trees, roots, lava like rock, and hard sand, soft sand, packed dirt, and mud.

Climbing hills is different in any terrain, all sorts of different variables. Im comparing dunes (where you dont know if the top of the hill is a drop off, step up, tree, etc.. and the trails (where how far can your bike really go without you on it, 10 feet and its bumped up against a tree or stump)

I know everyone considers both dunes and trails differently, all depends on where you are and what you have exerienced. Cant believe everything you see on you tube. ;)