Idler gear circlip

I've spent the last couple days tinkering on the shee putting a new clutch pack in, and a modded shift star, and I noticed when I took the clutch basket out to get to the star there was no circlip holding the idler gear in place! I'm assuming that since I couldn't find one laying around in the case anywhere that it never had one since I bought it and so I figured I shouldn't test my luck and get a new one. Problem is, everybody wants 8-10 bucks shipping for a $1 circlip so i wanna get one from a hardware store. What size circlip does it take? I've tried 1/2" - too small, and 5/8" - too big. Thanks!

you need to check the idler gear for play. theres a good chance that if its got some slop in it, the idler gear knocked the circlip off. ive had that happened before. the idle gear shouldnt have a bunch of slop in it. it should spin freely, but the bushing should be snug on the end of the shaft.

i recommend replacing all of those parts. bushing, 2 washers and the idler gear itself. it should go on like this..

washer - idler gear w/ new bushing - notched washer - circlip

Thanks guys but I just found the circlip at True Value, a 9/16" external retainer ring. After I put that on there's no play in the idler gear, it's solid. I bought my bike from the biggest lying doucher I've ever meet and have been finding all sorts of "buried treasure" ever since.. But since there's no play and it's all snug what else could it be?

Thanks guys but I just found the circlip at True Value, a 9/16" external retainer ring. After I put that on there's no play in the idler gear, it's solid. I bought my bike from the biggest lying doucher I've ever meet and have been finding all sorts of "buried treasure" ever since.. But since there's no play and it's all snug what else could it be?

The bushing on the gear is worn..............you need a new one. Even though you now have no slop with it all together it will do it again, unless you put on a new bushing. The old circlip got chewed up when it got pushed off the shaft.

Your bushing is definetly worn AND if you put the snap ring on without the special notched washer, the gear is going to knock the new snap ring off the shaft right away! If you start half assing your Banshee together with the wrong or insufficient parts you are going to spend alot of time pushing your bike and saying what a piece of shit Banshees are. Anything that can go 70 MPH and can ride farther in a half hour than you can walk in a day should be properly seviced wih the proper tools, parts and procedures. You already said you are finding "surprises" from the previous owner, don't continue his methods. Order a bushing, both washers and the proer snap ring from F.A.S.T. and the shipping won't be so bad, and then your bike will be put together right so you can enjoy it and not worry about when it is going to fail again. When my snap ring came off, I had to replace my crank gear, water pump gear, clutch basket,idler gear and all the washers and snap rings.

Check your clutch basket for excessive play as well. I've seen a loose clutch basket have enough play to move back and eat the circplip off the idler gear shaft. K&T sells a metal bushing that you can press into your idler gear and it won't wear out like the stock brass bushing.