dripping petcock ruined my motor paint

my petcock... he he, is dripping on my motor ruinning my new paint it seems as if there is a hole on the bottom of it where the gas line comes in, I have not takin it apart yet so I dont know for sure, Is there anyway to fix this or do they naturaly leak? Its very little but likes to pool on one of the head bolts disolving my paint, also when I pull the tank is it ok to lquid gasket the petcock seals... or will this hurt it. I'm not sure where exactly its coming from. thanks, Matt

I just used clear silicone sealant on the o ring that seats to the gas tank. I also replaced the on/off o-ring and gasket for around like $7 or something like that from the dealer. Has not leaked for a year sense I have done that.

I bought a petcock re-build kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400095383901&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

should I also use the lquid gasket or no? the other thing is that it only leaks when I wheelie or run the bike hard and seem to be buy that brass fitting that the gas line goes on, so should I lquid gasket that on as well. I really don't want to keep pulling my motor for paint thanks

I had the same F'n prob. But it some how worked its way out when I was on a Dunes ride. Going up a dune and no gas. Gas was pouring out faster then I could think. Finely got the petcock turns to off with about 1/8 of a tank left. Some how got it back in while the rest of the group just rode right by me. Good think the buggy that was with us ran out of gas. Or I would have been SOL. Well not really, I ride with a GPS watch. But I just got some red locktight and put it back on when I got back to camp. Seems to work ok.

I had the same F'n prob. But it some how worked its way out when I was on a Dunes ride. Going up a dune and no gas. Gas was pouring out faster then I could think. Finely got the petcock turns to off with about 1/8 of a tank left. Some how got it back in while the rest of the group just rode right by me. Good think the buggy that was with us ran out of gas. Or I would have been SOL. Well not really, I ride with a GPS watch. But I just got some red locktight and put it back on when I got back to camp. Seems to work ok.

thanks man, I'll pull it all out and try a little lquid gasket on it since thats what I already have, Hope this will fix it, I just got done with my motor and it looks amazing than this... its not to bad I can still touch it up when the motors in the bike,

Pull the petcock and clean the screens that are in there. Most of the time, the reserve screen will have shit on it. I like to flush them out when I redo my top ends.

when I first bought the bike thats what I did, because he had shit floating in the tank so ya I'll do it again, is it safe to use a cleaner like carb cleaner or is that to strong?

im not a big fan of carb cleaner. It tends to fuck with rubber to much. I only us it on my carbs if all the o-rings and gaskets are taken off. I just used an air gun to blow the filters out from the petcock being taken part. But not to much air.

im not a big fan of carb cleaner. It tends to fuck with rubber to much. I only us it on my carbs if all the o-rings and gaskets are taken off. I just used an air gun to blow the filters out from the petcock being taken part. But not to much air.

thanks for all your help man!

On a little side note, if you use car paint and clear coat it should be resilient to gas

Im using high temp engine paint it could just be it was a loose spot where the paint did not stick well, thanks

I had the same problem,silicone only worked for a week and leaked again.

Use something gasoline resistant, yamabond works great and I have not had a leak since.

I bought a gasket sealer will that work? also I used Dupli-color caliper paint not engine paint, Is this still resistant to gas? the guy at the auto parts store said there prettty much the same! Mite be because thats all they had in blue color

Edited by BigMatt

I had the same problem,silicone only worked for a week and leaked again.

Use something gasoline resistant, yamabond works great and I have not had a leak since.

I used silicone that I us for work. It has to stand up to acid and some other lovely chemicals that you have to use the darth vader mask for.

• 2 weeks later...