Not REALLY Banshee related BUT

My lil man has been wanting to tag along for years now and Ima take a plunge and get his something. he wants a dirtbike and I ran across a 1986 YZ80 that my buddy has for $500....new cylinder, head, pistons & rings, tires, brakes, plastics.... basically all new, just needs seat cover (its pink he built it for his lil girl) and a graphics kit, plastics are solid white. Is it worth it? i rode it tonight and for what it is, it runs great! What should I do, wait and try to find somthing newer??

He is 9. Had a 50 redcat quad, lmao pos, but he was 6 and outgrew it in 6 months. Said it wasn't fast enough. Actually broke the frame jumpin on it. Ohh it'll fly with him on it. He will love it just making sure there's nothing wrong with the price.

I was thinking the same, a little high for a 86 but he has over 1k in receipts, and only about 2 hours on it since he rebuilt it? Man I dunno. I gotta about 6 hundred to find him somthing. I don't hve a job at the moment or I could do more.

i grew up riding dirtbikes starting when i was 3 years old. i really think it helped me to become a better rider by learning balance on a dirtbike first. i say go for it.

ya i totally agree w starting on a dirtbike.

balance is very imp esp for the little ones

Thanks for the replys guys! after scouring craigslist i found a 2003 yz80 for $750 locally, im going to meet up with the guy when he gets off work. Said he bought it for the grandkids and it was to much for em, he said "this thing runs like the 125's did back in the 70's, I use too motorcross" and that it had a couple tanks of gas ran through it and has been sitting for 3 years. He did say he cranks it from time to time to keep it running. He said it needs a seal around the shifter, it drips oil. Do I have to split cases to fix that?

Thanks for the replys guys! after scouring craigslist i found a 2003 yz80 for $750 locally, im going to meet up with the guy when he gets off work. Said he bought it for the grandkids and it was to much for em, he said "this thing runs like the 125's did back in the 70's, I use too motorcross" and that it had a couple tanks of gas ran through it and has been sitting for 3 years. He did say he cranks it from time to time to keep it running. He said it needs a seal around the shifter, it drips oil. Do I have to split cases to fix that?

That seems like the better deal by far. As for the seal I changed the one in my shee by taking a screw and screwing it into the metal part of the seal and pulled it out with pliers and a buddy of mine did it with a curved pick looking thing he got it behind the seal by placing the pick between the shaft and the seal and it popped right out. Good luck and make sure he's geared up because that yz80 will rip with him on it.

If i were you i wouldn't get him too nice of a bike, my little YZ80 looked like i had taken it to war when i finally graduated to the yz125... that being said though, the newer ones will have a better center of gravity and balance and the suspension will be more forgiving to mistakes, but you will probably have increased power.