Anyone had there throttle get stuck wide open while riding?

jon321

I was just sitting here thinking how insanely scary that would be to have your throttle go full bore on a quad , ive had it happen in my truck . i went to pass someone so i floored it and the pedal would not come back up till i kept on mashing on it then it returned then if that failed i would of just threw it into neutral and shut her down , turn out to be the transmission kick down was binding with the linkage on the carb.

its happened to me but i reacted faster than i thought i was going too, first i pulled in the clutch and hit the handelbar kill switch and the scary parts was that it DOES NOT WORK so i had to hit the key off, yes it extremly scary but i was riding in the snow and i guess ice might of froze the cable up, but i was lucky i was on a straight away and not in the trails lol

that problem is probly more common then you think. it usually happens because of a carb slide sticking. its a pretty eas fix, just clean your carbs. :clap:

so thats what the whole tors is suppose to do rite shut it off for u? jw

It happened to me, i was riding at the dunes on the semana santa trip (easter week), at the beginning of the day i noticed that my kill switch stops working it was not shutting down the bike, well like i was out of home i didnt fixed, that day later i was hill shooting at the dunes, i was going up the dune then at the end of the dune i pulled clutch as usually and i noticed that the throttle was stuck and i was like WTF my kill switch wasn't working on that moment many ideas where passing through my head so i released clutch and get to the top of the dune, while i was stopping the bike and pulling the clutch i was also with my right hand looking for the spark plug cable (was the only thing i thought), i was lucky as soon as i stopped the bike with the clutch pulled i only took like 2-3 seconds to get to the spark plug cable and disconnect it.....i was really scared, i thought my clutch was fried but it wasnt neither the clutch ball and my recently top end...since that day i oil my k&n filters, and i fixed that kill switch...

It happened to me once and i just yanked the killswitch and it shut off. My butt puckered water tight on that deal. I didn't want to pull the clutch just so I wouldn't hurt the motor, so i just tried to stay calm and think one step at a time. I'm a firm believer in killswitches though. I went over the handlebars one time and the banshee kept going and after that I went and got a killswitch and put it on. Never had a problem since. Invest in the $35 lil killswitch, its good insurance.

i also noticed no one mentioned it running away from an airleak. that is also common, and has happened to me. it will get hot and "deisel" like wot, so no killswitch, key, or plug wire to shut it down.........amazed how quick and calmly i simply shifted to a high gear and let the clutch out while holding the foot brake locked up to shut her down. tightened the loose clamp, and went on my way......won't forget that one, lol

jumping out of a snake turn over about a 25 foot gap throttle decided to stick when i revved it in air to get it to level out and when it landed seconds later throttle was still stuck so i went from jump, gap, land, instant wheelie... grabbed an ass load of back brakes and kill switch...have you know i didnt jump the rest of the day...freaked me out

happened to me at dumont on a dirtbike in fourth gear. i rode out the whoops and once the sand was level, i was able to hit the kill switch. it took awhile. my buddy thought i was bad ass for going so fast for that long through the whoops. haha. i told him the truth afterwards :shootself:

Had the throttle stick twice to me on 2 different bikes. Same thing happened on both of them. The guide dowel in the carb came loose and held the slide wide open. When it happened on my bike, I JB welded it. At least my kill switch worked.