Silver Lake trip out of state

jjn56

Could somebody give me some info on Silver Lake in Michigan, I'm heading up from out of state this summer and want to make sure I got everything I need for getting in the park, I hear they are pretty strict there. Particularly what do I need to have to get an out of state quad in there if you don't have ATV sticker or your state doesn't give them out, will they let you in with just the park sticker. I know about needing flags, helmets, spark arrestors and park passes, and the db needs to be below 96.

Thanks Guys

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could somebody give me some info on Silver Lake in Michigan, I'm heading up from out of state this summer and want to make sure I got everything I need for getting in the park, I hear they are pretty strict there. Particularly what do I need to have to get an out of state quad in there if you don't have ATV sticker or your state doesn't give them out, will they let you in with just the park sticker. I know about needing flags, helmets, spark arrestors and park passes, and the db needs to be below 96.

Thanks Guys

The stickers you will need you can buy there. They require no info for the quad to buy the stickers. For EVERY vehicle going into the parking lot you need to buy a state park sticker (daily $8 seasonal ~$28). Then for every vehicle going out on the dunes you need to buy an ORV sticker $16.25 (Seasonal). You will need a spark arrestor and they check every quad. You will need a flag which the shops right next door sells them. (Duneland ~$20) As far as noise goes the law says 94db they will let you in at 98db. They do not check all of the time and they will not always pick the loudest out of a group. We had a group of 8 of us and they picked out the stock banshee to check sound on. Not sure why. What we do is when you want to get on the dunes if they are checking sound just wait till they are checking someone else and get in line. They will not pull two people over at once. The last little note I would like to make is don't speed on the entrance ramp and on the exit make sure you stop at the stop sign, they have been giving out tickets. Just curious when do you plan on going?

thanks for the info very helpful, what are the rules for kids on quads, do they really check for an ATV training course license for kids under 16. I have a 13, 10, and 7 years old. I seen on you tube that it looks like alot of people drive jeeps and truck out there, how would a stock jeep liberty do out there just cruising around.

I'll be out there around July 17th, I'm renting a house for a week in Ludington.

Also i'll probably be riding in the middle of the week not weekend, are they a little looser on the rules during the week?

Thanks again

I

thanks for the info very helpful, what are the rules for kids on quads, do they really check for an ATV training course license for kids under 16. I have a 13, 10, and 7 years old. I seen on you tube that it looks like alot of people drive jeeps and truck out there, how would a stock jeep liberty do out there just cruising around.

I'll be out there around July 17th, I'm renting a house for a week in Ludington.

Also i'll probably be riding in the middle of the week not weekend, are they a little looser on the rules during the week?

Thanks again

I

As far as the kids go they do check and they are kinda strict if you do not have the safe riders course. I have a 14 year old cousin and he does not have one we just ride the quad out for him and he gets on it out there. Never had any problems once you are out on the dunes they just ask as you are going in. As far as a stock jeep liberty goes it will do fine. You can go to most of the dunes without having to go over any hills. With that said a liberty could probably climb most of the hills there if not all. During the week they do seem to be more relaxed. There are way less dnr there during the week but i think you would may still have a problem not having the safe rider course. There may even be a minimum age of 12 if you have the safe rider license but i am not sure on that.

Cool, we will have a tahoe also so we can just bring the kids in that way and then let them ride. Thanks for the info, I sure I'll post again with more questions when it gets closer to time.

Thanks

As far as the rules go for during the week, I took my blaster out on a wed. that had a drag pipe with no sparky that hits 106db. standing in front of it and they didnt test me. I did have a 14yr. old cousin that was out on his dirt bike and jumping. He didnt have a safety permit and he traded his buddy the dirt bike for the quad and they ended up pulling both of them over and ticketing them. The liberty and the tahoe will climb every hill on the dunes just about even the biggest one which is test hill.

~Teddy~

I go a couple times a year, The noise check is hit or miss. Some weekends they check everyone some weekends they don't check anybody. Make sure you have sparkies they will check for those. They have a long stick they will put in your exhaust. Put your orv sticker where they can see it that will stop them from stopping you to look for it and any other problems they feel like starting.

One more thing STAY OFF the THROTTLE when you are pulling up to the check station. That is one thing that will help you not get stopped.

We wanted to go their but non of us have sparkys so we go to LS in OK. no regulations their just ride.We live in MN so the drive is about the same. :headbang:

Thats where I usually ride but I'm going to Michigan anyways so I thought I might as well haul the quads since I will be so close to those dunes, I may never make it back up there again but wanted to check them out. LS is great, almost no rules at all, as long as they get there $7 and you have a flag they are happy.

it just depends on what day you come up for how strict they are. a normal weekday most the time they arn't even in the entrance watching but on a busy weekend they will ask everyone to see stickers and passes. don't be worried too much however because for the most part it is school kids doing a summer job there, i got tested for sound which i would for sure fail if i did it right but he told me to go at half throdle to make some spring tool vibrate but being how it was a banshee it vibrates like a mother and i only gave it like 1/8 throdle and they didnt know the difference. just depends but if its the same distance i'd go to a better place then silver

Any sexy women up there ridin or hangin out..

Ohh ya, on the popular weekends there is usually quite a few hotties partyin' it up at the campgrounds... Not to mention bikinis all day on the sand..I have some CRAZY pics from the past years, but things have settled down up there A LOT.

The DNR is starting to get carried away with regulations. I got stopped last year, granted I was duning my drag bike with CPI oof's... They stopped me for noise and im like "ya no shit I'm not guna pass dick head, you know that, just let me thru!" After talking to like 5 officers I talked them into letting me in.

Seriously, if they check you and you are over 96 db... Its over. Pack your shit and leave, I mean how do they expect us to do anything more than new packing and sparkies? We are trying to follow the law, its just the nature of the beat to be loud.

Personally, i think 4 strokes are louder and more annoying than any banshee out there, and they hardly seem to get stopped..

Sorry for the novel, but I guess I'm a little bitter about silver lake getting tighter and tighter every year.... Good luck to everyone this year!