pipe for RZ350 cylinder

Thewhite

I just found that my T5 pipes won't fit on my RZ350 cylinder and I will perfer to not dent the pipe for power issue. I know that the Rocket pipe and the Paul Turner high rev will fit, but I wondering if someone have mounted other brand pipe.

My engine builder (Passion Racing Engine) don't like the Rocket and prefer the PT High rev. But personnaly I don't like the layout of the PT: they are very exposed to flywing rock.

I hear that the Trinity and old FMF can clear the power valve housing, but I'm not sure. I also prefer a mid-top end pipe.

Where is the best place to buy the Paul turner pipe

thanks

Edited by Thewhite

The first time you change spark plugs or try to shut off fuel on a hot motor, you'll love the layout of the pt's. I've been running mine for well over a year in very rocky terrain and can't find any dents in them. They really don't hang out as far as it looks in pictures. Ebay or the classifieds here are your best bet.

PT Mids will fit as well as the High Revs. DOn't let the names fool you though, PT mids are more of a low end pipe, and theyre high revs are a more mid range pipe. I run PT Mids on my bike, and I do some fairly tough trail riding and Ive never had any issues, they run really decent, I like them better than any other pipe Ive had.

I don't beleive anything other than Rockets or PTs will fit the RZ jugs. New PTs are damn expensive, especially if you want chrome. Try and find a used set if you want to save a little coin, you can have them PCed with high temp stuff or even ceramic coated and theyll look pretty good.

Good luck on your build, and def post up some pics, Ive wanted to do an RZ build for a while, but I just havent been able to find the parts.

PT Mids will fit as well as the High Revs. DOn't let the names fool you though, PT mids are more of a low end pipe, and theyre high revs are a more mid range pipe. I run PT Mids on my bike, and I do some fairly tough trail riding and Ive never had any issues, they run really decent, I like them better than any other pipe Ive had.

I don't beleive anything other than Rockets or PTs will fit the RZ jugs. New PTs are damn expensive, especially if you want chrome. Try and find a used set if you want to save a little coin, you can have them PCed with high temp stuff or even ceramic coated and theyll look pretty good.

Good luck on your build, and def post up some pics, Ive wanted to do an RZ build for a while, but I just havent been able to find the parts.

The RZ350 engine built look easy at the beginning, but it's not really an bolt-on kit. Last year I blow a crank, one piston and dome on my banshee motor. Then I begin to get parts, here are the listing:

Tranny mod:

a modified RZ350 shfit drum with a bearing on the stator side (from WCR)

RZ fork with roller pin

modded shift shaft (from FAST)

Shift star mod (mull engineering)

shift pro lever (with bearing)

magnum clutch basket

cascade pankage bearing

Engine:

RZ350 1985 cylinder

11 ports design (by Passion Racing Engines, need to post pic, the porting is amazing)

power valve cable and housing

RZ350 Pro-design head with custom domes (by Passion Racing)

Brand new welded crank

Wiseco piston 65mm

ported case (by FAST)

Tommy Blater B1 flange for pipe adaptor (inside diameter matched to the exhaust port)

Intake:

V-Force 2 cage with new reeds

BOSS intake with cross-over

Keihin PWK 33mm carb

CFM aluminium air box with K&N pods

new rubber boots

Electric:

Zeeltronic programmable computer (advance and power valve opening)

power valve servo-controller (came from the exup valve of a Yamaya R1)

RZ350 stator and flywheel

RZ350 voltage regulator/rectifier (I haven't found a brand new aftermarket replacement part)

Other:

All engine bolt are new with an allen key type head, high grade 12.9 and zinc plated or Stainless. Fastenal can supply all type of bolting ... but not cheap.

Brand new connector Yamaha type.

Addinf zerk to the swing arm casing and bolt.

all parts are in house except PT pipes, new CFM air box and Zeeltronic computer. It took about 10 month to get parts, porting and money ......... very expensive ...... It can be more simple, but all parts are matched and I take the time to finallyse all the small details. Will post pics soon.

I also need to say thanks to 'Passion Racings Engines' and 'Farm and Sand Toy' for their advises and tips. They are very good guys: I live near Montreal in Canada and I bought 80% of my parts to those guys in the US.

Wow, you have a lot of parts into that bike, but from what are hear, they are very very worth it. The difficulty of finding parts, especially the PVs and the cylinders kind of deterred me, but I still keep my eyes open on craigslist here and e-bay.

What are you going to be using the bike for? Trails, MX? That's going to be one bad ass shee.

Wow, you have a lot of parts into that bike, but from what are hear, they are very very worth it. The difficulty of finding parts, especially the PVs and the cylinders kind of deterred me, but I still keep my eyes open on craigslist here and e-bay.

What are you going to be using the bike for? Trails, MX? That's going to be one bad ass shee.

The reason why I choose the RZ cylinder is the wider powerband. If I compare to a banshee engine, I will have more bottom torque and a freaking top end. At low rpm the power valve will be close the exhaust port about 2 mm more that the banshee and at high RPM the exhaust port will be open 3.5 mm higher.

That have been said: I ride everything from tight trail to small dune and sometime drag racing (for the summer). During winter, in Canada, we received a lot of snow. The only place tahtI can ride is on some compacted snow trail (like for snowmobile). Will try to post pic during week-end.

Edited by Thewhite

jim at passion does good work, but he takes forever!!!!!!!!! No complaints on how the bike runs, but ive only been able to run it for about 2 hours since i didnt get it back till november, he had the cylinders all summer.

The lead time of Jim is not always the best, but the porting look like a 5 axis milling machine. I know he is also working full time some where else. I tried to post pic, but I need t figure how.

For the pipe, I will definitively go with the PT High Rev.

Since I currently own a a RZ powered banshee I amy be able to shed some light. As mentioned above only the PTR's or the Rocket's will work unless you want to dent at least one of any other brand of pipe. I also agree the for plug changes PTR's are much easier. With the rockets it is very hard to get your hand in there to change the plugs unless you go from the front of the motor. If the pipes are hot you will need to wait a bit or you will most likely burn your hand.

One perception that I have always disagreed with is that the RZ has a mellow powerband. Since I have only bulit one RZ shee my current experience is far from what most believe. The RZ motor just flat out flys right off idle to wide open. This is not a 4 stroke powerband by any stretch.

Also, unless I missed this within the other posts, for the RZ conversion you will also need to make exhaust manifolds. The rz manifolds are bolt ons not one peice like on the shee.

Chris

Also, unless I missed this within the other posts, for the RZ conversion you will also need to make exhaust manifolds. The rz manifolds are bolt ons not one peice like on the shee.

Chris

I got some flanges (spigot) from Toomey Racing, the Blaster exhaust have the same flange pattern. I called the tech service and the guy told me that the outside diameter of teh manifold is the same as a banshee. Two weeks later when I received the parts I found I smaller diameter (about 40mm instead of 45mm). To fix the problem I got some machined sleeve to press on. I also turn the inside diameter to match the exhaust port size.

For sure a 2 stroke engine will never have the bottom end of a 4 stroke. Is there the beauty of the beast. But the power valve allow to have the power of a duner engine with a more decent bottom end. I haven't run the bike yet but by what Jim (Passion Racing) said to me: 'this set-up will make low to mid 70 hp at wheel, Will see this summer.

thanks, Martin

Edited by Thewhite

Granted, once the motor is tuned, you will most likely not have to change spark plugs very often. Upon the completion of any new project, there is a learning curve that you will most likely have to go through to properly tune the engine. As a result, this will typically require many jetting checks throughout the throttle range to reach optimal performance. This will just take a little more time if you are using Rocket pipes due to the design..

Also, I have never had an issue with either my RZ or shee in the low end department. A properly set up and tuned banshee can run all day long in the woods,track and dunes. It is all in your set up.

Chris

I don't see what big fuss is with changing plugs or shutting off the gas. I won't argue that the Rockets make it difficult to perform either tasks, however properly setup, you shouldn't have to do either one often, if at all. Rockets ftw!

If you ride the same place and same weather all year round, then I agree, you shouldn't have to pull plugs often.

However, almost every time I go riding, I'm at different elevations and very different weather conditions. So I have to check plugs and usually rejet every time I ride. Getting plugs out of a hot motor is a very large concern to me.

Right now, my bike is jetted for 1500ft and 0*F from when I was in the UP of michigan riding over new years. I'm going riding this weekend at 800ft and probably 30*F back here in ohio.

Edited by Whitbread