cub question

Been awhile since I've been on here (started a business, sold it, going back to school now), so I have some spare time again.

Anyways, I vaguely remember hearing a couple years back that someone had taken a 4mm cub cylinder and decked the bottom to run it on a stock stroke motor. Doing this allowed them to drop the port timings enough that they could port the motor for a wider/lower end powerband.

My question is, does anyone remember this, or has anyone else done it. And if so, how did it turn out?

Exactly what loco said.you can get a dune/play port on stock cyls and they are very fun to ride and fast. A friends 350 like that with a plus 6 swingarm 10 paddles is a blast to ride and usually holds its own dune racing, runs high 4s at the track.

Well sorry if this doesn't meet your thread requirements, but why do this when a stock stroke cub is made? I'm sure the port timings between the stock stroke and 4mm cub are different, not sure if they're exactly different to make it pointless to do what you're saying though since a cub is not ever going to be a low-end cylinder. Just doesn't make sense, like putting a blower on but not the belt...

Well sorry if this doesn't meet your thread requirements, but why do this when a stock stroke cub is made? I'm sure the port timings between the stock stroke and 4mm cub are different, not sure if they're exactly different to make it pointless to do what you're saying though since a cub is not ever going to be a low-end cylinder. Just doesn't make sense, like putting a blower on but not the belt...

The only reason a cub is a top end cylinder is because it is already ported for high end power from the factory. The ports are already cut higher in the cylinder than you would want for a lower end port. You can't add the material back to drop the port timing.

The point of using a stroker block was you could cut it down to fit a stock stroke machine, and the side effect of doing this was that the ports would be dropped low enough that it could be ported with lower port timing than the regular stock stroke cub comes with.

All I wanted was to hear if anyone had any experience with this procedure. I already know that most people think there are better ways to get more hp, otherwise more people would have done this.

Edited by dawarriorman