What Quad You Will Choose?

GhostRider

Ive had all three quads, the yfz450 is buy far the better all around quad.

The one time I ever went to the dunes,the banshee was the winner for me.

I just didnt get that ripping feeling with the 4stroke.That being said, the 450

was a more pleasent ride. :shrugani:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they are way too expensive to maintain...the titanium valves will only take so much abuse , those pancake pistons are not worth a shit IMO. and the oiling system still sucks on those engines.

Id have to disagree with pretty much everything you said here.

my first yfz450 was a 2004 model. i bought in in january 2004 and rode the piss out of that bike until march of 2006 when i sold it. during that time, i had the valves checked once sometime in 2005 and were fine and i put a new piston and rings in it right before i sold it. that bike ran like a champ and i ride the fuck out of my bikes.

my second yfz450 i bought was a 2006 that i bought march of 2006. its got countless hours on it. its been to the dunes 3 times and on a ton of other weekend rides. i finally broke down and had the valves checked in december 2008. they were all fine and required no shims. in march 2009 i finally put a piston in it, not because i thought it needed it, but because i was bored. its been running strong as hell ever since.

my bikes dont sit. they get ridden and ridden hard. i change the oil in these bikes 2 times a year at most. i never put a clutch in either bike.

the yfz450's are BULLETPROOF.

Id have to disagree with pretty much everything you said here.

my first yfz450 was a 2004 model. i bought in in january 2004 and rode the piss out of that bike until march of 2006 when i sold it. during that time, i had the valves checked once sometime in 2005 and were fine and i put a new piston and rings in it right before i sold it. that bike ran like a champ and i ride the fuck out of my bikes.

my second yfz450 i bought was a 2006 that i bought march of 2006. its got countless hours on it. its been to the dunes 3 times and on a ton of other weekend rides. i finally broke down and had the valves checked in december 2008. they were all fine and required no shims. in march 2009 i finally put a piston in it, not because i thought it needed it, but because i was bored. its been running strong as hell ever since.

my bikes dont sit. they get ridden and ridden hard. i change the oil in these bikes 2 times a year at most. i never put a clutch in either bike.

the yfz450's are BULLETPROOF.

Unmodified....yes ,they are GREAT engines,i would go as far as saying they are bulletproof...but once you start modding them to keep up with banshees,they are ticking time bombs.

The problem with that engine and the other new 450's is they are wound up fairly tight out of the factory,which is great if your looking for something that is fast and can hold its own out of the box,but bad if your looking to significantly build on its power plant...and Im not talking about just putting a pipe on it.

banshees are sick and monsters in the dunes but if i had the cash to go out and buy somthin new it would be a raptor700 .. only 17 lbs. heavier then a yfz450 and its fuel injected wich is cool haha.. plus you dont need to do anything with it but maybe a pipe.. either a rappy or a yfz450

it was a nice quad,looked just like yours loco

flexx bars

Dr D pipe

Pro peg nerfs

throttle spring mod

Kenda Knarly all around

30djcw3.jpg

34fdt1e.jpg

20f3sqq.jpg

mmmmm, purdy.... i passed up one just like that at a hell of a great price, but it would sit for a while while i save up the mony to rebuild it, with likely a head assy, crank, piston, min, and probably a cyl and whatever suprise is inside.......not saying that wasn't just a special case, just remided me.......problem is, pretty much everyone begains building the banshee for all out topend, even on a "mid-top" build. it can be built with awesome low-mid, and still rev out, as some few do, but they are off the mainstream market, and have not recieved any factory mods in 20 years....i'm supprised how many hq'ers are saying not to buy a banshee as a duner.... :flush:

P1010221web.jpg

Mine has 13:1 piston

Stage 2 hotcams

HD valve springs

Vortex Programed CDI (15k rev limiter)

Pro-flow K&N kit.

Full Duncan FB2 exhaust.

Got alot of other crap on it too.. but nothing important that would affect the engine.

Did all this work about 4 yrs ago and have yet to put a dime into it for a premature failure.

And this is a 04' without the oil mod....

It holds its own against lightly modded banshee's in a drag race with my 200lb ass on it.. Not saying I win them all but.. I've won a few.. Its not a drag racer by any means, it has more then enough power for what I use it for. I got less into my mods then what it would cost for porting, pipes, carbs, head/domes, filters.

Come and kick my banshee over... We'll do the world a favor and shoot ya after.. yelrotflmao.gif

Have you ever Raced Hare Scrambles?? If you have then you would know that a Electrics start is WAY better. Its about the convienence.. not the ability to do it. Do you use a TV remote? (dont even say no.. )

I'll take my 450 over my banshee in the dunes.. It just more all around fun. The only thing a banshee has on a 450 is straight line drags. Everyone can sit here and argue that fact. But... Its true. There is a reason why the 450's are taking over.. Even in the amateur ranks where sponsorship is non-existent.

Wo there turbo I wasn't saying you need to shoot yourself take it easy big guy. I am just saying this guy said dunes a Banshee is very easy to kick over. I can see if you were doing Hare scrambles but even then my Bansh once warm could be kicked over by my 4 yr old on the first try. I have an 09 Honda CRF 450R if electric start is so important why doesn't my bike have it? I agrree in stock form go for the YFZ I have ridden lots of them nice quads for sure but in the DUNES imo the mods I listed in my previous post a banshee can't be beat. Most I think on here would agree a ported carbed banshee will require little effort to keep running. I have seen first hand what happens when you try getting enough power to run with a well built bansh the 450's do not last period. Why even buy a 450 quad in the first place? The dirt bike versions are faster, better suspension and so light. I am faster in almost every situation on my bike Jumps, whoops, trails and hills. Still have love for my bansh in the dunes though over the bike.

Agree^^^

All these guys that are saying Banshee probably don't own a 4stroke. I love riding my wife’s 450 in the dunes. You can lug that thing, rip it, jump it, drag it (although it's not very fast when stock). You name it, they can do it. All around generally speaking it is a better bike for multiple uses.

To the guy who says I probably don't ride a 4stroke. I own one and it is definently not something my wife can ride.

To the guy who says I probably don't ride a 4stroke. I own one and it is definently not something my wife can ride.

I am surprised also at the number of folks saying YFZ 450 over the Banshee for duning. If I were to get a 4 stroke it would be the YFZ 450 but I wouldn't trade my Banshee for a 450 for duning.

I have a buddy that has an older 450 and a new 450r. The older one is piped and runs well (I just rode it over Thanksgiving at Little Sahara) but it is rough as hell! The 450r is wider and has much better suspension but still isn't as plush or handle as well as my Banshee. I do have about $2500 into the front end of the Banshee though to get it there though.

I also wonder if GhostRider really knows what a "good" running banshee feels like. His 02 had pipes and a boost bottle. Didn't list anything he had on the 04. All I am saying is if you ride a well put together Banshee (port, pipes, carbs, and tuned with some decent suspension) I think that you would be happier then with a stock YFZ 450.

Now if your gonna set up the 450 that may be a different story but dollar for dollar I think you can get your Banshee there for less money. And if money is no object you can make your Banshee better the more you spend.

SP

Wo there turbo I wasn't saying you need to shoot yourself take it easy big guy. I am just saying this guy said dunes a Banshee is very easy to kick over. I can see if you were doing Hare scrambles but even then my Bansh once warm could be kicked over by my 4 yr old on the first try. I have an 09 Honda CRF 450R if electric start is so important why doesn't my bike have it? I agrree in stock form go for the YFZ I have ridden lots of them nice quads for sure but in the DUNES imo the mods I listed in my previous post a banshee can't be beat. Most I think on here would agree a ported carbed banshee will require little effort to keep running. I have seen first hand what happens when you try getting enough power to run with a well built bansh the 450's do not last period. Why even buy a 450 quad in the first place? The dirt bike versions are faster, better suspension and so light. I am faster in almost every situation on my bike Jumps, whoops, trails and hills. Still have love for my bansh in the dunes though over the bike.

Why dont your CRF have elcectric start?? easy.. its a MX bike. Weight is a issue.. Same reason that they make a kick start kit for the YFZ.. Even if your banshee was warm.. You'll still loose time kicking it over.. Like I said.. Its not about the ability to kick it over.. It don't matter if your 4yr old could kick it.. its about convenience.

Why by a 450 quad? because some of us dont like dirtbikes.

when properly maintained a 450 is very reliable... The machine is only as reliable as the mechanic performing the maintenance. Do you know what the valve train maintenance schedule is for the 450? You have no idea how over looked this is.. yet when something fails.. people never blame themselves.. I've worked in a service dept at a dealer. I've seen first hand how stupid people can be... Like I said.. Mine is a 04' with no oil mod.. It runs like a top and I've yet to put a dime into it.

My 450 keeps up just fine with ported and carbed banshee's.. Maybe not drag porting... but.. then again.. mine isn't a drag build either. And dollar for dollar.. I got ALOT less into mine then a ported and carbed banshee and its just as reliable if not more.. My banshee was purpose built as a duner.. and I still think my 450 was more fune to ride..

Huh.... I guess I forgot how to read. My bad..banghead

Your right I did tell you to shoot yourself sorry please don't. BTW I think your a great reader. What I meant was to kick over a bansh is pretty easy a lot easier than my 450. In the dunes where pedro said he was going to ride I don't think having E start is a big deal.

This guy is buying a new 450, you may have less into your 450 then your Banshee. I was suggesting buy used and build. I could build 2 of my Banshees for the price of a new 450. I have no idea what your Bansh has done to it but I have never had any 450 that isn't big bore or running nos run with my banshee in the dunes. I agree there are a lot of morons out there who don't keep their bikes up and yes if you don't get crazy with the 450 it is reliable.

I have works shocks all around shee handles way better in the dunes then any Stock 450. Remember he is buying new he could very easily have 9-10 grand into his 450 and still not be able to keep up. On top of all this what if he does want more power the 450 can only take you so far power wise. The only limit on a banshee is your wallet and maybe how big your sack is.

I don't blame you for not liking bikes getting used to this thing after riding quads for so long is rough but what a rush. I also like how much easier it is to find good jumps on the bike.

What mods do you have on your Banshee?