Powdercoating parts....

laketappsbanshee

I'm getting ready to do a complete tear down of my first Banshee and p/c my new frame and swingarm. What other parts should I do while I'm at it. I am planning on doing the a-arms and hubs already. Has anyone powdercoated their axle???? Any pics and other part recomendations are appreciated! Thanks!

I'm getting ready to do a complete tear down of my first Banshee and p/c my new frame and swingarm. What other parts should I do while I'm at it. I am planning on doing the a-arms and hubs already. Has anyone powdercoated their axle???? Any pics and other part recomendations are appreciated! Thanks!

You can powder coat lots of things to make it look good. Frame, swingarm, A-arms, front hubs, spindles, foot pegs, rear axle, rims, rear hubs, sprocket hub, brake hub. My rule of thumb is always have 2 colors to a bike. Maybe one color and chrome. Or frame blue and everything else black. Always look around and see what other people run for color combos.

If you have the stock A arms, do not powdercoat them. They have a plastic bushing in the ball joint that will MELT in the powdercoat oven when they are baked, I have heard that you can coat them and then bake the arm with a heat lamp so the ball joint doesn't get to hot, but I don't know anybody who has done it that way. There was a thread on here about a week ago or so from somebody that coated stock arms and now he wanted to know how to fix his ball joints. You can chrome the stock arms without hurting anything, but I think it is a waste of money to chrome arms that are half wore out in the ball joints. Therefore I would buy brand new ones to have chromed. However you can buy aftermarket arms with replaceable ball joint for less money than the stockers cost. Then you can either powdercoat or chrome them and replace the ball joints when they wear out. You can powdercoat anything on the bike that can handle the heat of being baked in the oven after the powder is blown on the part. How ever the axle may peel or chip because it is subjected to so much abuse and stress. You should also give thought to your color choices because you might want to touch up any nicks, chips, or scratches with some paint before you have to take it apart again to repwdercoat.

Thanks for the replies guys. The guy I talked to about doing the PC work mentioned a shorter process for the A-Arms which would not melt the ball joints. He said he has done a lot of Banshee's and as long as its a sand bike the PC should hold up fine on the A-Arms. Im thinking of doing candy red on the frame and other components and then going Matte black on the plastics and black/machined SS wheels. I'm going to start the tear down in the next couple of weeks and then send the frame and everything else to PC'ing. I'll post some pics. Thanks again for the input

Thanks for the replies guys. The guy I talked to about doing the PC work mentioned a shorter process for the A-Arms which would not melt the ball joints. He said he has done a lot of Banshee's and as long as its a sand bike the PC should hold up fine on the A-Arms. Im thinking of doing candy red on the frame and other components and then going Matte black on the plastics and black/machined SS wheels. I'm going to start the tear down in the next couple of weeks and then send the frame and everything else to PC'ing. I'll post some pics. Thanks again for the input

That was me who lost a set of arms. I got a new set on the way. I am gonna still PC them. The problem with mine was the PC messed up and all the parts where the wrong colors. The striping ruined them. One was still good. I saw them after the first PC, and the ball joints were ok. He also will hang them so the plastic (teflon/nylon or what ever) wont be able to come out. He is sure all will be ok. I will let you know and post pics when I get them back.

Waiting on the arms and the bike is ready to put together.

• 2 weeks later...

my foot pegs and rear dog bone are chromed so I powdercoated the inside of them as well as my rear brake lever, turned out trick, the chrome never seems to look very good in those areas anyways, and all it ever did before I did that was rust inside there. I would also powder coat your banshee cases if you are taking your motor apart to. what you can do is endless, just use your imagination. Have fun with the build and good luck.

post-34255-12585295195958.jpg