PVL Ignition

kolb02

I'm 175 on a 4 mill running race gas. Do you think it would be a good mod to do? Would it add power?

you could go with one, it will give you extremely fast throttle response. i havent had any problems running one on my 10mm mini and im 220lbs..

i havent had a chance yet to dyno my bike without the pvl. im selling it to set it up with a stock ignition and ill be able to dyno it again to find out what kind of difference itll make.

save your money spend it somewhere else they do work good ive seen people have trouble keeping them tuned in or holding a tune then ive seen people who swear by them but i say you can spend the money somewhere else to make more of a increase in speed(like noss)

save your money spend it somewhere else they do work good ive seen people have trouble keeping them tuned in or holding a tune then ive seen people who swear by them but i say you can spend the money somewhere else to make more of a increase in speed(like noss)

X2.

Not worth the money or time. I still run one on my 421, but I won't once I use all my spare pvl parts. It got to where any time the engine was f'ing up, I'd start tearing into the pvl. It wasn't always the culprit, but it was the most likely thing to screw up. I have a buddy that ran a PVL on his 18 ml DM, then went back to stock ignition. NO difference in times in 300 ft, just that his

"boots last a lot longer not having to kick it so many times to start".

one of my friends had a pvl on his 14mm dm. we found that the timing was advanced just a tad too much to and didnt change anything to change it from .80 advanced to .70 and started a bunch easier. he later went to a stock ignition to put that same pvl on his 4mm cheetah.

• 2 weeks later...

Why have they switched back?

Some very fast guys run PVLS but the FASTEST run stock. THe Puerto Ricans all run stock ignition and have the record for fastest Twin Cylinder. I believe Dan Hull runs stock, or at least builds motors for customers with stock ignition. I've had 2 of his motors. My PVL on my 4 mil finallly took a crap, I think. Everything tests within range, but I won't know until I put stock back on.

IMO, the worse thing about the PVL (other than installation) is that it doesn't retard the timing as RPMS increase (unless you buy the $650 programmable PVL- jury's still out on that, I think.)