pro's and con's?

j2dakizzle

I assume your talking rim size. Lower center of gravity. More stable.

Rim size will not lower your center of gravity, a shorter overall height nof your tire will lower your center of gravity. Smaller wheels with the same diameter tires will give you more "cushion" because the bigger sidewall will have more give.

Rim size will not lower your center of gravity, a shorter overall height nof your tire will lower your center of gravity. Smaller wheels with the same diameter tires will give you more "cushion" because the bigger sidewall will have more give.

Your right. When I was thinking of somone using a 8" rim I just assumed he would be running 18's instead of 20's.

It's not necessarily bad for traction. It depends on what you nd up doing. I run an 8" rim on my sand tires, and the setup I use is probably one of the best ones you can use for paddle tires period.

Snop, what setup do you have for sand? I am running ITP C series sport wheel on all four, with skat trak 8 paddle haulers on the rear, which is a 10 inch wheel. it seems really heavy and hard to turn.

Snop, what setup do you have for sand? I am running ITP C series sport wheel on all four, with skat trak 8 paddle haulers on the rear, which is a 10 inch wheel. it seems really heavy and hard to turn.

thats a heavy ass fuckin wheel.

I run 22x11x8 10 paddle super lites on blue label rims.

not to be a dick but if you do hill climbs and are thinking of going to a 18" tire your not thinking straight.

with a 8" rim on a 20" tire you will increase your sidewall flex and hook harder out of the hole plus increase your top end a bit once the tire spins up and "balloons up"(like a drag slick) due to more sidewall flex, by dropping your tire size to a 18" you will effectively counter the positive effects of the 8" rims.

if you ride flat ground then go with the 18's, if you ride anything else dont go under a 20 unless you like getting your bike un-stuck and fighting your way out of stuff. if there are any rut's where your riding you will hate the 18's. i know an inch of clearance doesnt sound like much but it's alot when you get on a trail...

i've ran 18's before and got stuck everywhere i went. i'm perfectly happy with my 20/10/10's, i know i'd be happier with a set of 20/10/8's and even happier with a set of 22/10/8's but just havent pulled the trigger yet...

it's all about less rotational mass and depending on what type of riding you do more ground clearance, lighter/smaller rims with taller tires/taller sidewalls=more ground clearance and more top end when they expand...

just my inflamitory opinion though....

Edited by swrbansheeboy

If you do alot of riding were you go over stumps and rocks and need a really strong wheel than the stock wheel is very strong, but heavy. Also if you go to a 8 inch wheel you will have alot more tire selection to choose from, if you order from rocky mountain they seem to have alot bigger selection in 8 an 10 inch wheels, as do other places. You can't beat a 8 inch wheel in the sand it gives you alot better float and traction and i would also go with the 22's ground clearance is everything when you are doing hole shots and riding in soft sand. The number of paddles depends on how much motor you have compared to how much you weigh. B)