Blaster Jetting

I am going to remove the oil injector on my kid's 98 Blaster and run Klotz R50 at 40:1 like I do in the Banshees. It has a FMF Fatty pipe and a K&N filter in the stock air box with the snorkel removed and is currently jetted with a 260 main and 32.5 pilot. Does any body know what I need to increase them to?

I am going to remove the oil injector on my kid's 98 Blaster and run Klotz R50 at 40:1 like I do in the Banshees. It has a FMF Fatty pipe and a K&N filter in the stock air box with the snorkel removed and is currently jetted with a 260 main and 32.5 pilot. Does any body know what I need to increase them to?

http://www.blasterforum.com/ this should help

• 2 weeks later...

Your right, the injector does not affect jetting. But when you take it off and start using premix, some of the volume of fuel flowing through the carb jets is now taken up by oil. Therefore you have to increase your jet size so you get the same amount of gas plus the amount of oil flowing through the jet. I know there are formulas to figure this out, but I don't have them. Everybody that knows what they are doing says you need to richen it up when you pull the injector pump, they just can't tell me how much. I know I can start doing plug chops and dial it in, but our family time on the sand has been severely limited due to the economy and I wanted to be fairly close when we get there so we don't waste a trip doing nothing but jetting.

Your right, the injector does not affect jetting. But when you take it off and start using premix, some of the volume of fuel flowing through the carb jets is now taken up by oil. Therefore you have to increase your jet size so you get the same amount of gas plus the amount of oil flowing through the jet. I know there are formulas to figure this out, but I don't have them. Everybody that knows what they are doing says you need to richen it up when you pull the injector pump, they just can't tell me how much. I know I can start doing plug chops and dial it in, but our family time on the sand has been severely limited due to the economy and I wanted to be fairly close when we get there so we don't waste a trip doing nothing but jetting.

WTF are you talking about dude?

oil injection does not "inject" after the carb, it mixes it before it enters the carbs in mid line of fuel then the carbs pull it in and does its normal business.

if you pull it, you just have to mix your gas youself is all. I pulled them off blasters and mixed oil after that with no affects at all. you dont need to do anything, just pull the injection shit and do it the right way.

I run my kids stock ported Blaster wtith uni in the box,no lid,toomey pipe with 310 main.My other kids is HJR ported with same intake and exhaust,340 main.Kevin said try a 360 main.Blasters love the extra fuel for cooling.Just run it fat and you'll have to test and tune.Not that long of a process with those bikes.Just run it rich,They like to blow up from friends that I've seen.

WTF are you talking about dude?

oil injection does not "inject" after the carb, it mixes it before it enters the carbs in mid line of fuel then the carbs pull it in and does its normal business.

if you pull it, you just have to mix your gas youself is all. I pulled them off blasters and mixed oil after that with no affects at all. you dont need to do anything, just pull the injection shit and do it the right way.

WTF are you talking about? Look where the tube for the oil goes in the carb- it's in the venturi. The oil from the injector NEVER goes through the float bowl or the jets, so YES, when you take the injector off and start using premix you DO need to richen your jetting to compensate for the reasons I listed. You need to review Carbs 101 and learn the physics of how a carb works. I also know you can't run an air cooled Blaster as lean as you can a liquid cooled Banshee. I was just hoping someone on here had a similar setup and could get me close.

Edited by bansheesandrider

sorry but i have to disagree. when ever you get an oil injecter removal kit it does not come with new jets cause YOU DONT NEED TO CANGE THEM! i have done many pump removals and never changes the jets and i asked my mechanic when i first did mine and he said no.

You don't get jets with the kit because they don't know what size you need.Your pipe,reeds,fuel mix and other mods affect your jetting. All my local shops say yes, it needs to be rejetted but they don't know what size jets because they don't do that many Blasters. I have taken the pump off and riding it in the field at home it is way lean, the plug is white and it runs like crap. It was perfect before I removed the injector and that is the only thing that changed.And, yes, I plugged the fitting on the carb properly.

Edited by bansheesandrider

it's running like shit because you got it at 40:1 thats why its running lean! with the pump on it runs at 32:1. thats what the pump mix is

IT will run just fine on 40:1 once it is jetted for it, that is nwhat my Banshees run on and that is what the old Blaster i had for my wife years ago ran on.If I went to 32:1 it would lean it even more than 40:1 as there is less gas in a 32:1 mix than there is a 40:1 mix. The reason I am doing this is so all bikes take the same fuel and I wont have three different types sitting around to get confused. Go back and read what I said about where the oil is injected and learn how a carb works. If you didn't rejet, you where either rich with the injector on it or lean with it off.

IT will run just fine on 40:1 once it is jetted for it, that is nwhat my Banshees run on and that is what the old Blaster i had for my wife years ago ran on.If I went to 32:1 it would lean it even more than 40:1 as there is less gas in a 32:1 mix than there is a 40:1 mix. The reason I am doing this is so all bikes take the same fuel and I wont have three different types sitting around to get confused. Go back and read what I said about where the oil is injected and learn how a carb works. If you didn't rejet, you where either rich with the injector on it or lean with it off.

recommended mixture for Blasters by most all people (including TM Designs who manufacture the block off kits) is going to be 32:1.Maybe you should run your Banshee like that as well.

First, I did not get my block off kit from TM Designworks. Second, I have ran my Banshees (3 different ones including an 89 that I bought brand new 20 years ago and still have) at 40:1 with absolutely no problems. The 89 currently has 7 years on the top end and is 20 pounds lower on compression from the 180 that it had when I put it together. When I had the cylinders off the last time, the bottom end had plenty of lubrication. When I had a Blaster for my wife, I also ran it at 40:1 with R50 and had no problems. I did pay somebody to do the topend and jet it after it blew up running some other oil at 32:1. After they did the topend and jetted it I never had a problem with until we sold it to put her on a Banshee. I will just have to jet this one the old fashioned way by reading the plugs and changing the jets accordingly. Like I said, I was just hoping to save some time when we get to the dunes so we could ride instead of wrench.