Making my own J-arms...

Bansheeb0y5505

Hey guys.

I'm thinking of making my own +2 +1 J-arms. My plan is to buy YFZ450 bottom arms, and then fabricate my own upper J-arm. I have a machine shop, welder, and tubing bender so I really don't see why I couldn't?

I was thinking, cut off the J-arm but leave the round part that bolts to the frame, and cut the part that holds the ball joint off.

At that point I would get a really thick, strong tubing. Do some measurements and come up with a bend to make it +1 foward and +2 out. Reinforce the tubing where I weld it to the round part that bolts to the frame, and reinforce the ball joint area.

It's not so much hard work as it is a lot of measuring.

What do you guys think?

AND NO, A-ARM CONVERSION IS NOT AN OPTION.. I like J-arms.

Go for it, but why cut the ball joints off the old J-Arms...that is why people hate them beacause they are so weak. So it would be kinda dumb to put the stock ball joints on something that is made for performance. I say get some aftermarket ball joints, and tie rod ends. And then once you get your set made and they are tweaked and perfect. then you can make me sum :) Good Luck keep me informed because I am thinking of doing the same thing because extended j's are hard as hell to find

Go for it, but why cut the ball joints off the old J-Arms...that is why people hate them beacause they are so weak. So it would be kinda dumb to put the stock ball joints on something that is made for performance. I say get some aftermarket ball joints, and tie rod ends. And then once you get your set made and they are tweaked and perfect. then you can make me sum :) Good Luck keep me informed because I am thinking of doing the same thing because extended j's are hard as hell to find

Yeah. Nothings guarenteed that im going to make them, but im definitely thinkin about it. I guess I could weld a nut to the inside of the tube and put in an aftermarket threaded heim.

I know where to get extended J-arms, they are just so expensive :blink: Metal Tech makes em. $430 for bare metal. +2 +1's.

lol

Yeah. Nothings guarenteed that im going to make them, but im definitely thinkin about it. I guess I could weld a nut to the inside of the tube and put in an aftermarket threaded heim.

I know where to get extended J-arms, they are just so expensive :blink: Metal Tech makes em. $430 for bare metal. +2 +1's.

lol

$430 for both upper and lower, can you still use stock suspension?

I think this is a good idea!! I'm going to start a j-arm build soon, and Ive been pretty disappointed at how expensive +2+1 j-arms are for how simple they look. I only spent $200 for a used set of +2+1 A-arms, and they were in awesome shape!!

Let us know how you progress if you had some build pics that would be awesome too!! Good luck!!

This is a very interresting topic i to like the j-arms but don't wont to spend the money for extended ones . When your done plaese post some pics so that everyone can see the outcome.

lol

yea I meant Expensive!! This is a good thread man. If we put our heads together at least 1 person's set of arms might come out right then we will have a good blueprint for them. I am gonna start measuring and reasearching. Auto ball joints soound good I just gotta find the right size.

I can tell you that even using the 14mm tie rod ends for ball joints, you are still going to spend about $17-$25 each. You might as well call metal tech and buy ball joints that are designed for the yamaha spindle. They are 16mm, nice and beefy, and I believe they cost around 25.00 each. Dont sell yourself short trying to save 15-20 on a very important part if you are trying to build a nice set of arms.

I know that it seems like 430.00 is expensive for a set of arms. My drag J-arm kit sells for 420.00 in a bare finish. But I can tell you that you get what you pay for (in most cases). There are quite a few companies out there that offer cheap product and thats exactly what you get. Ive had some people send me links to other companies products asking me what I thought about them. I refuse to mention other companies names in a negative manner. But make sure you are understanding what you are getting. What materials (mild steel, DOM, 4130, etc.), welds (mig, tig), etc.

I am all for the do-it-yourself guys. In some ways that how I got started doing what I do now. You will never know what you are capable of unless you try. I say give it a go and see what you can do!