Transforming dune bike into flat tracker

ToomeySheeLE

I want to start racing flat track and know that I need to do away with a few things and add a few things.

I'm a 170lb rider and my bike should be around 75hp. Right now I have a +4swingarm, and am wondering can I get away with using a stock swingarm or are the -1 and -2's a must.. if so whats better between a -2 over a -1?

there are a few tracks one is hardpacked clay and another is gravel/sand. Is there a tire thats pretty all round? I can get a set of Duro's all around for a decent price, but they may be junk I'm not sure...

I have +2 arms and a +4 axle, can I get away with using stock front shocks perhaps keeping the outside one on a stiffer setting? I have Dual rate works I can toy around with as well.. Is a stock rear shock usable or should I be looking for an "r6" shock on ebay?

And last but not least, will I need a sway bar to be competitive?

I really dont feel like putting a 75hp banshee on the track if it simpily can't keep up to 450's that have a chassis set up better and are only pulling 2/3 of the HP..

thanks for any info

I want to start racing flat track and know that I need to do away with a few things and add a few things.

I'm a 170lb rider and my bike should be around 75hp. Right now I have a +4swingarm, and am wondering can I get away with using a stock swingarm or are the -1 and -2's a must.. if so whats better between a -2 over a -1?

there are a few tracks one is hardpacked clay and another is gravel/sand. Is there a tire thats pretty all round? I can get a set of Duro's all around for a decent price, but they may be junk I'm not sure...

I have +2 arms and a +4 axle, can I get away with using stock front shocks perhaps keeping the outside one on a stiffer setting? I have Dual rate works I can toy around with as well.. Is a stock rear shock usable or should I be looking for an "r6" shock on ebay?

And last but not least, will I need a sway bar to be competitive?

I really dont feel like putting a 75hp banshee on the track if it simpily can't keep up to 450's that have a chassis set up better and are only pulling 2/3 of the HP..

thanks for any info

whats up man

you can run a stocker but If your serious about flat track racing get a -2 or -3 swinger

a swaybar is very useful you can set the suspension softer for traction,and not let the quad dive and roll over on the right front,and you can use it to set some wedge for more traction on the left rear.

If you run both types of tracks the same amount, get some hoosier tri tracks they weigh more than the standard hoosiers but will last much longer ,they work good on packed clay and get a lot more traction on the loose dirt gravel track.

the duros are a cheap startup tire and you wont run up front with the guys that are (set up) and on hoosiers or american racers.

some tracks will alow the duros,some dont ,the flat track (not the supermoto model) duros are worse on the clay

surface than plain knobbies.

It sounds like you will be wide enough ,just lower it and get your sag set ,you dont want the front end toped out with you on the bike.

Just get some seat time,learn the lines, everything else will come in time,just remember its about momentum not just HP, especially on the loose tracks

Thanks for the info, some great stuff there ;)

I read on here that some people use an r6 shock? is that a big improvement instead of dicking around with the stock rear?

I havn't used one before ,do a search and see what you come up with I know there are a handfull of people on here that have used it.

In the rear we use the stock shock body, with a aftermarket 250r spring, and a lowering strut .

And on the tires duro, is comming out with a lighter ,softer compound tire that you might want to check out there the 3rd gen.

Anyone have experience with 300ex front shocks and a lowering block for the rear?

I have not tried the 300ex shocks,but I have used blaster shocks on my 450 and banshee .

it works alright,but with stock a arms there isn't enough sag for me, with some + 2 a arms it was better!

Looking at the Hoosier tri-track tires.. What compound is best for hard clay surface and loose dirt/gravel surface.. I'm assuming both would be requiring a different compound, but the loose dirt surface is a more important race.

Hey, the d-10 hoosier racing tires are great for clay surfaces that are wet. If its a real dry night and you have a 75 hp banshee you dont have anything left to those tires by the feature. The dryer it is the higher number youd want d12 d15 ect. The higher the number the stiffer the tire. D10 is the softest. Alot of the guys are running anti sway or antiroll bars. Durable makes them lonestar ect. Uhmm.. 18in fronts and 20in rear or else your arms will be dead if you run anything bigger in the front. I think stock front shocks would be alright if your on a budget just put a couple extra turns in that front right unless your using a sway bar. Rear should be fine.

Hey, the d-10 hoosier racing tires are great for clay surfaces that are wet. If its a real dry night and you have a 75 hp banshee you dont have anything left to those tires by the feature. The dryer it is the higher number youd want d12 d15 ect. The higher the number the stiffer the tire. D10 is the softest. Alot of the guys are running anti sway or antiroll bars. Durable makes them lonestar ect. Uhmm.. 18in fronts and 20in rear or else your arms will be dead if you run anything bigger in the front. I think stock front shocks would be alright if your on a budget just put a couple extra turns in that front right unless your using a sway bar. Rear should be fine.

I think I'll be getting a sway bar for sure.. Do you want the front tires to be 2" smaller than the rears? I'm seeing alot of 18 fronts 18 rears for sale.. I understand I may have to go up a tooth on the front gear to keep the same ratio.