Trying to help this kid out

Hello guys. This is my first post and I'll be honest here, I don't own a banshee or a four wheeler for that fact, I'm a motorcycle guy. However I have a friend's boy who got a banshee(93 I think) for cheap and he wants to ride it like no other but it starts/runs like crap. I finally got it to start after taking the K&N filter off and holding the chock on (it won't stay in place....Problem #1). In order for me to get it to start I had to hold the choke open with some lock pliers and as I kick start it I also have to give it gas. Once it starts I have to hold the throttle open to keep it running. Once I get going down the road it runs fine, but if I load it down aka my 240lbs fat butt up a hill it wants to bog and die. It seems fine at higher RPMs. Just sucks to start and keep running. After running it for awhile the right side exhaust had a sputter to it. Plugs are fairly new and I cleaned them off also.

I also need the oil/gas ratio as they have now idea and couldn't tell me what was in it other than it was a tank from the previous owner(not that old of gas)

This is a good kid who deserves this toy and they don't have much money, that's why I'm involved here. any help would be great! Point me in the right direction of the adjustment it may need!

Hello guys. This is my first post and I'll be honest here, I don't own a banshee or a four wheeler for that fact, I'm a motorcycle guy. However I have a friend's boy who got a banshee(93 I think) for cheap and he wants to ride it like no other but it starts/runs like crap. I finally got it to start after taking the K&N filter off and holding the chock on (it won't stay in place....Problem #1). In order for me to get it to start I had to hold the choke open with some lock pliers and as I kick start it I also have to give it gas. Once it starts I have to hold the throttle open to keep it running. Once I get going down the road it runs fine, but if I load it down aka my 240lbs fat butt up a hill it wants to bog and die. It seems fine at higher RPMs. Just sucks to start and keep running. After running it for awhile the right side exhaust had a sputter to it. Plugs are fairly new and I cleaned them off also.

I also need the oil/gas ratio as they have now idea and couldn't tell me what was in it other than it was a tank from the previous owner(not that old of gas)

This is a good kid who deserves this toy and they don't have much money, that's why I'm involved here. any help would be great! Point me in the right direction of the adjustment it may need!

I'm fairly stock and run 32/1 mix, check your jetting...are carbs synced? http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?show...&hl=jetting ... http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?show...&hl=jetting ...

I'm guessing it's a carb issue. With the ethanol fuel they use by me nowadays if the bike sits for 3+months you get all this green shit in the carb and it really fouls things up. You also might be missing the "balance tube", it is a little black tube that runs between the carbs up by the choke. That said you may also be off on the jetting. Let us know what mods you have and we'll let you know a ballpark for the jetting. Your probably going to have to pull the carbs and sit down with them.

I would probably just synch them by eye and ear, the synch tool is like 50 bucks and it works awesome, but you can get it decent by just looking at it and listening to it(it will run anyway). Also, where are you located?

The only mod I can tell is the K&N cone filter which I cleaned and oiled tonight. I live in Waterloo, Iowa. Average summer temp is around say 78 right now. When I look down the neck of the carbs the spacing under the plates looks close. And yes ethynol is huge around here! I was thinking of dumping the gas and starting from scratch if I knew the mixture rate.

I checked and the balance tube is there and appears to be no cracks and/or leaks.

The only mod I can tell is the K&N cone filter which I cleaned and oiled tonight. I live in Waterloo, Iowa. Average summer temp is around say 78 right now. When I look down the neck of the carbs the spacing under the plates looks close. And yes ethynol is huge around here! I was thinking of dumping the gas and starting from scratch if I knew the mixture rate.

I checked and the balance tube is there and appears to be no cracks and/or leaks.

Most generally people run 32:1 (1 qt to 4 gallons) or 40:1 (1qt to 5 gallons).

SP

Pull the carbs, clean them real good. Remove the main and pilots and clean them good as well. Tell us what sizes they are. Check the reeds and make sure they're fully closing on the cages. Make sure they're not cracked and there is no gap when they're sitting on the cages. Clean and flip em over. What clip is the needle on? Is it bent? Add fresh fuel mixed at 32-1 along with fresh plugs. Tell us what pipes are on the bike. Do a compression test. Unplug the TORS and parking brake. Synch the carbs. This is about a 4 beer job. Good luck