what causes low compression?

You may have needed a bore, not just a hone and rings. It sounds like the new rings seated a bit tighter than the old ones, hence the 10lb jump in compression.

Did you have the cylinders measured before and after the hone???

Just an idea.

If you just checked the compression after replacing the new rings and not breaking the motor in then the new rings are not seated yet. I would bet that the cylinder is out of round or you have a leak between the head and the cylinders or a leak around the spark plugs.

You are compressing the air from the closing of the exhaust port into the cylinder and into the head. Any leak from that point will cause a low reading. Reeds don't play a part in this.

SP

I suspect you weren't holding the throttle wide open or didn't kick it till the needle stopped moving. But several things can cause a decrease in compression:

Worn, broken or damaged piston rings

Over sized,damaged or out of round bore

glazed cylinder walls

Damaged piston

and yes broken or non sealing reeds

I suspect you weren't holding the throttle wide open or didn't kick it till the needle stopped moving. But several things can cause a decrease in compression:

Worn, broken or damaged piston rings

Over sized,damaged or out of round bore

glazed cylinder walls

Damaged piston

and yes broken or non sealing reeds

How would reeds effect compression testing? The intake feeds the crankcase and the flow is through the transfers into the cylinder. Then as the piston comes up and traps the volume in the cylinder once the exhaust port roof is closed is when the compression starts. Correct me if I misunderstand the concept, but I don't see how the reeds would effect it.

Even if the reeds were removed, once the intake was closed as the piston traveled down the pressure increase in the crankcase would force the charge up through the transfers into the cylinders.

SP