Direct Drive or Slingshot

I'm getting ready to tear down the banshee to install an overide, lockup and have some drag porting done for our upcoming dune season.

I understand the basic principle of how the two "lockup" the clutch in their own way. I'd like to know the differences as far as adjustability or any of the pros and cons of each.

This is on a 421 cub that I like to generally dune on and line up and dune race for fun up the hills.

Thanks.

i ran a slingshot on my 421 cub i had and really liked it.for the money its really nice and its also pretty simple to put on.just installed a dd on tony's(TeamrealtreeHD) cub and its really simple as well, but just alil more money.both are nice. guess its just all in what you want to spend for money

They are both easily adjusted and both work very well. The direct drive will run you a little more money because of the need for a cover or cover mod. Really it comes down to what look you want the most. If you want to just retain the stock cover go with the slingshot. Ultimately the DD is a little easier to fine tune because you don't have to pull the entire clutch cover, but I've seen guys run the slingshot behind a modified cover as well. Gigot now offers them anodized for those whow want to run a modded cover and want colors.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses. Some more questions!! Do either of these lock-ups alter the clutch pull at all? I read that the slingshot had a heavier clutch pull than the DD. That was for a Raptor set-up though.

The pics I've seen of the SS installed, you don't see the pressure plate. Does the SS replace the pressure plate or does it just go over/cover the pressure plate? I'm running 6 HD springs right now, will I be able to go back to stock springs for a lighter pull, after installing either of these lock-ups?

I still have a few weeks before I'll be in need of one, but I think I'm leaning towards the SS, since HJR sells them and he will be doing the porting and my duneable overide.

The slingshot also has more holding power over the Direct drive style.. IF.. it happens to slip you can upgrade the balls to tungsten for more holding power.. But.. that probably wont be necessary, I've yet to have mine slip on me. Also... The under cover slingshot cannot fit through a modded cover. So if your looking for that option go with a standard version or a direct drive style.

The under cover style slingshot replaces the pressure plate. The standard version mounts on top of the pressure plate. You should beable to go back to all stock springs or 3/3 mix depending on your needs.