V Force 2 reed petal life span

My buddies 7mm trex is chewing through reed petals at an alarming rate.

when its running, it runs good, real good.

at one race meet (flat track) it progressively got slower all day before finally stopping altogether. upon tear down it was found that a reed petal off the left blcok had completely vanished, and all the rest were frayed and damaged. all the screws were tight.

he put some brand new petals in it,, and after 3 race meets, (not even 40 laps) it did the same thing, only this time it was the right side. all the other petals were damged too though, they seem to be deteriorating at the roughly the same rate, just whichever one happens to let go first stops the motor...

has anyone seen this or had it happen before?

we are thinking they are hitting against wall of the reed blcok area on the cylinders. like they need some sort of stopper or something?

thanks, mark

On my triple from a fre years ago, I would get about 200 hours on the engine dyno before I needed to turn the reed petals over due to the tipsbot seating flush on the cages.

My old 10mil didn't show any where after about 100 hours total.

My red bike doesn't have much time on it.....

What you can take away from all that is that something usually let's go before the VF3 reed petals reach the end of their life on a properly functioning engine.

Firehead you put 200hrs on your bike on a dyno! thats ridiculous

Generally I am not working with the stereo typical dynos people are familiar with.......

The engine and chassis dyno's I deal with are quite advanced. The 200 hour deal refers to time on an engine dyno attempting to develop a new Banshee'ish engine. :geek:

mine made it about 100hrs now and have minimal freying on the corners.....time to replace though. Carbon fiber reeds suck!

Sounds like they are slapping the reed box to me... That is one of the reasons why I use reedspacers, but I cut them down to .250 on the mill. No need for a full .500. Just pulling them out a bit helps. Or he can get out the dremel and do some grindage where they are slapping.

mine made it about 100hrs now and have minimal freying on the corners.....time to replace though. Carbon fiber reeds suck!

Sounds like they are slapping the reed box to me... That is one of the reasons why I use reedspacers, but I cut them down to .250 on the mill. No need for a full .500. Just pulling them out a bit helps. Or he can get out the dremel and do some grindage where they are slapping.

I doubt you can here reeds hitting anything. Furthermore, I don't think your reed spacers are helping anything either (certainly they change the responsiveness and frequency of the petals). If you don't like CF reeds what do you prefer? Properly made CF reeds are far more robust and and are a much higher performance (from a material standpoint), than pretty much any other type of commercially available material. :geek:

• 2 months later...

ok people we are still having this problem, and cannot figure out why!!

my buddy put brand new petals in 4 meets ago and used loctite on the screws.

on the weekend the bike ran hard all day for 3 heats and then in the 4th it took a shit halfway through and lost alot of power...

back to the pits and pull the reeds out and yep sure enough all reeds are split up the middle of the petal, screws were tight and everything else looked good.

it had new gaskets and even brand new intakes and all mating surfaces are flat, so it had no air leaks or anything weird like that.

someone must know something or must have seen this before...

what is the reason for a two stroke being hard on reeds??

for example:

hole in piston/pitting on head = detonation

rings nip up in bore/spark plug is white & dry = engine is lean

engine is chewing through reeds = ???

thanks, mark

That happened to me once on the right side one of the reed petals got sucked into the motor and I associated it with an intake leak caused by the crappy boost bottle that came with the bike ripping the intake boot. Everything happened at once and the piston skirt took a dump in the crank case causing the crank to seize on a huge piece of piston. But I replaced everything and have put many hours on the new petals and everything is so far so good. Are your screws maybe too tight?