Powdercoated VIN

Hey, what's up? I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find anything. For those of you that have PCed your frame, what do you do to make the VIN # readable again? I can see the VIN, but it is very very faint and the last part of it is unreadable.

The only reason I ask is that even though I have the bike registered I got stopped by a sheriff in NY, and he wanted to check to make sure the VIN and reg matched. We looked at the frame for half an hour, and couldnt get the last 4 or 5 digits. Since he saw the frist 12 matched he was nice enough to let me go, but warned me other officers may not be so nice. I have a big trip coming up in August and the last thing I need is to get my bike impounded miles from home.

im glad they dont check that crap in NC

I have no idea who my shee is registered too

all they give you in NC is a certificate of origin, which is pretty worthless unless you are the original owner

but i would say your best bet would be a wire wheel on a grinder

You don't want to do this. They paint the vin's on and very very VERY lightly stamp them. the wheel will remove the whole thing.

Yeah, it wasnt even that clear before I powdercoated the frame.

What do you guys do after you PC your frames, do you just not worry about it?

to be on the safe side if mine was registered i would use air craft stripper it wont hurt the frame wipe it off really good afterwards and it wont take long to do.

Sounds like a good idea, the only problem would be then, how do you coat the bare metal where the PC was stripped off. I guess I could try painting it again and mayeb that would work.

I was wondering if there is anything like machinsists bluing that could be put on it to make the VIN more visible. The bike is registered and I have the VIN# written down, but I dont want to have an issue where I get into trouble for not having a VIN thats clearly displayed.

you could very lightly, and i mean VERY LIGHTLY try draw filing over the area. Get yourself a very fine toothed machinist file and hold it in both hands one on the handle end and one on the tip. pull the file sideways across the frame in the same direction the vin is stamped. that is draw filing. if you are carefull it should remove the coating on the frame and leave it in the indentations of the stamping. Most likely though, they sandblasted it pretty good before coating and those last few numbers are gone. what i would do is get it cleaned as best you can, ,then invest in some number and letter stamps and make them deeper. do a clean proffesional job and it will never be questioned

you could very lightly, and i mean VERY LIGHTLY try draw filing over the area. Get yourself a very fine toothed machinist file and hold it in both hands one on the handle end and one on the tip. pull the file sideways across the frame in the same direction the vin is stamped. that is draw filing. if you are carefull it should remove the coating on the frame and leave it in the indentations of the stamping. Most likely though, they sandblasted it pretty good before coating and those last few numbers are gone. what i would do is get it cleaned as best you can, ,then invest in some number and letter stamps and make them deeper. do a clean proffesional job and it will never be questioned

yeah never mind on the aircraft stripper i just tried it on my minibike frame and it wont take it off its too tough it took it off my clutch cover on the banshee around the edge the gasket sits because it wasnt thick on it i guess but yeah get a machinests file and file it on the vin# area then get a can of clear coat or something to seal the metal.