exhaust from around the head

so I kicked the shee up yesterday and noticed that exhaust is leaking in the middle of the cylinders on the back side.

Head gasket I assume but as I've never taken a banshee apart I thought I'd ask someone in the know before I start pulling her apart.

Still runs strong (not still running it since noticed) so I don't think there would be any damage thats occured as of yet but then again, what the fuck do I know other than how to drive it through the back window in my truck LOL

Anything other than a head gasket that I should be looking at? What the fuck is an o ring set for the head?

so I kicked the shee up yesterday and noticed that exhaust is leaking in the middle of the cylinders on the back side.

Head gasket I assume but as I've never taken a banshee apart I thought I'd ask someone in the know before I start pulling her apart.

Still runs strong (not still running it since noticed) so I don't think there would be any damage thats occured as of yet but then again, what the fuck do I know other than how to drive it through the back window in my truck LOL

Anything other than a head gasket that I should be looking at? What the fuck is an o ring set for the head?

You wont need the o-ring set unless you buy a aftermarket head, they use o-rings to seal the head instead of a gasket.

When you say its leaking exhaust, from the base of cylinders or from the head? what makes u think its leaking?

You wont need the o-ring set unless you buy a aftermarket head, they use o-rings to seal the head instead of a gasket.

When you say its leaking exhaust, from the base of cylinders or from the head? what makes u think its leaking?

I'll try to take a short video to show what I'm talking about if you guys think it will be OK to start it but it looks like its leaking from where the head and the cylinders connect.

Edited by SinfulDragon

Here is a clip. its hard to see but I think it will give you the idea of what and where I'm talking about.

Sorry bout the quality, it was taken with my phone

th_VID00001-20090721-1735.jpg

OK. First, there is no exhaust passages through the head the cylinders or the cases. This is a 2 stroke. Funnel fuel from the carbs to the crank, up through the transfers to the cylinder. While flowing fuel into the cylinder, that fresh charge pushes the exhaust gases out the exhaust port. So, your exhaust / cylinder connection is the only connection that can and does leak. O-rings in the male part of the exhaust get brittle and break and I always use high temp RTV on the inside also. Other then that it could be a crack in the exhaust flange or something crazy like that.

Good luck!

SP

Ok, well thanks for that info.

I'll pull the exhaust out of the motor and put in new seals, the high temp RTV sounds like a pretty damn good idea too.

Still not sure how exhaust would be getting around to that side of the motor but I'll give that a shot and see if its not just a weird wind thats helping swirl it around.

yea i would try exhaust gaskets, the round ones inside your pipe where it connects to the cylinder exhaust flange..... if your referring to the wet spot where head meets cylinder, could be a coolant leak, thats the only thing that will leak from that area, in that case get a head gasket....

Ok, well thanks for that info.

I'll pull the exhaust out of the motor and put in new seals, the high temp RTV sounds like a pretty damn good idea too.

Still not sure how exhaust would be getting around to that side of the motor but I'll give that a shot and see if its not just a weird wind thats helping swirl it around.

Don't know how it is swirling around that way either but you are creating a lower pressure back by the carbs when you increase RPM. Long shot but I don't see anything while it is idling in the video.

SP

to give some resolution to the thread, I think I found the issue.

a coolant return line was ran next to the exhaust and it finally cracked 100% today.

got them replaced and rerouted and I see no more smoke in that area and now the coolant there can dry up and go away (good eye Ieat4strokes, I didn't even see that there until you said something).

get her all put together and run the shit out of it aaannnnddddd no more leaks but the fucking rubber thing that goes around the exhaust where they connect caught on fire :blink:

Put it out and let her cool down and couldn't get it to happen again.

time to check your jetting, if you are getting hot enough to burn the exhaust couplers. those will also shoot exhaust out. sounds a little lean in the vid.
Is the best way to tell to do a plug cut?

To do this I was told by a friend to get her in 3rd WOT then kill the motor, not to be started on those plugs again then do the cut.

There a better way? Sorry for the stupid questions but I don't know anything about Jetting other than what I've read on here. :confused: