cylinder stud removal

Im wondering if someone have ever change a cylinder stud (to mount the cylinder on the case). One of the thread is dammage and Im not able to remove the stud. I tried to heat the stud with a torch but the stud bent.

Any help will help ... can I place the case in the oven at 325 deg F and them try to remove the stud !!

Im wondering if someone have ever change a cylinder stud (to mount the cylinder on the case). One of the thread is dammage and Im not able to remove the stud. I tried to heat the stud with a torch but the stud bent.

Any help will help ... can I place the case in the oven at 325 deg F and them try to remove the stud !!

Did you try a stud extractor, they work like a charm.

Soak it over night with some good penatrating lube.

Seeing you bent the stud you got it too hot.

in that case heating it was the wrong thing to do. one, heating it expands the metal, tightening the fit. getting it hot then quenching works though. two, you got it hot enough to get soft. andyways, a pipe wrench often works. if the double nut trick is good when you plan on reusing the stud. you can also buy tools for it that work like a charm

thanks guys, I will try the wax in the week-end.

When I heated the stud last weekend, I begun slowly with the heat and the stud was rock solid in the case. So I heat it again and at the third time the stud bent just a little bit. My last tried was to heat the stud and colling it with ice in a towel by the othe end. That havent work too.

thanks

thanks guys, I will try the wax in the week-end.

When I heated the stud last weekend, I begun slowly with the heat and the stud was rock solid in the case. So I heat it again and at the third time the stud bent just a little bit. My last tried was to heat the stud and colling it with ice in a towel by the othe end. That havent work too.

thanks

ive always took mine to a machine shop

try the wax trick I was skeptical about it so I only did a few studs the ones I put wax on came out the ones I didnt broke off inside the case I also put a torch to all of them the ones with wax where easier the ones without I maybe got a turn out of them then snapped off

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the candle or wax trick. The stud go out so easily and even the local shop was not sure if they will be able to do it without breaking the stud ... always good stuff here ...

Anyway, I have already sent my space case to Jeff for a full case porting.

Edited by Thewhite